Position: Paper Engineer
Job Type: Full Time
Location: Our entire Creative team is housed in New Haven, CT (65 miles north of NYC) inside a charming mid-1800’s converted factory building; our studio is nestled amongst tinkerers and thinkers of all sorts. Our corporate headquarters are located in Mason, Ohio
Up With Paper, the largest manufacturer of pop-up greeting cards, has an immediate opening for a talented Paper Engineer to add to our in-house design team. If you appreciate pop-up greeting cards/books, have a fondness of the greeting card industry, or just love to work with the tactile nature of paper blended with fine design, this may be a fit for you!
We will fully nurture and train the right detail oriented candidate, however, an experienced paper engineer that can also bring an eye for trend-setting design and illustrative skills will be most highly considered. Product design and development is also a benefit.
It is our philosophy to design in an environment where we love what we do and where we can be stimulated by the creative diversity that each of us have to offer. We are a close-knit group that appreciates hard work and the rewards that our collaborations bring.
A long-term commitment with advancement potential including domestic and international travel is available for the right candidate.
We are looking for a highly organized, detail oriented and self-motivated designer that can work in a fast paced environment while managing multiple deadlines. The best candidate must be fluent in Creative Suite in conjunction with the ability to engineer and design original pop-up concepts for UWP products.
• BFA or Equivalent
• Minimum 3 years’ experience in related field (can include time in college)
• Expertise in Adobe Creative Suite (including Photoshop, Illustrator, In Design)
• Fluency in Microsoft Office
• Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal skills
• Self-motivated and proactive
• Work under direction of Art Director and Creative Director
• Experience applying brand guidelines to projects
• Participate in design concepts
• Design collaboration skills
• Effortless sketching skills to quickly convey concepts
• Basic Social Media Skills
• Operating plotting machines and large format printers
• Hand assembly of complex pop-ups
• Assistance with trade show set-up and break-down 2-3X/year
• Occasional travel to domestic and international trade shows
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Benefits: A full benefits package is provided including 401K, health insurance, life insurance, health savings account, paid holidays, PTO, flexible hours, and profit sharing when the company is profitable.
Up With Paper (UWP), the original pop-up greeting card company, is a leading global marketer and manufacturer of innovative pop-up greeting cards and books. Jumping Jack Press, UWP’s independent book publishing division, is known for elaborate international pop-up books. Our latest division, UWP Luxe, celebrates the best in paper engineering with trend-driven designs.
Originally founded as PopShots, Inc. in 1978, Up With Paper has been recognized for design excellence for decades with the International Greeting Card Association’s highest honor, the "LOUIE" award HOW Design, PRINT, and more.
Our greeting cards and books are sold in over 6000 retail locations in the USA, as well as throughout the United Kingdom, Europe, Canada, Japan, Australia, South America, and China.
How to apply:
Please send résumé, cover letter including salary requirements and link to portfolio to:
(include “Graphic Design” in subject line of email.)
No phone calls please.