Lucifer Lighting Company is a privately held San Antonio-based designer and manufacturer of precision-engineered architectural lighting fixtures. You’ll find our products everywhere from SF MOMA to the Nike Headquarters. We’re in the campuses of 4 of the 5 largest tech companies and 5 of the top 10 tallest towers in the U.S. Our customers are the world’s leading architects and designers who look for minimalist industrial design and place a premium on service, quality and innovation. Our people make magic happen; we are passionate, smart, hard-working, committed and creative. We like to make work enjoyable and engaging.
WE LIGHT THE WORLD'S MOST BEAUTIFUL SPACES.
Position Summary: The Product Designer is a part of the Engineering department, working with Senior Executives and engineers to ideate and release unique industrial designs that support the Company’s product roadmap while maintaining visual and brand consistency across the Company’s product offering. The Product Designer works well in modeling the physicalities of product form, fit and finish, but extends his or her contributions to parts assembly and detailed part drawings. This individual contributes thought to other projects underway in Engineering to ensure aesthetics and physicalities are maintained across all products released by the Company. Candidates will be considered with threshold fulfillment of required education and experience, up to extended years in product design at a management level provided the essential duties and responsibilities can be fulfilled in the course of employment at the Company.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Conceptualizing, sketching, model making, prototyping and participation in the development of finalized part and assembly design geometry.
• Works with Engineering and broader team to drive design and development activities and ensure that projects are completed within budget and in a timely manner.
• Supports and sometimes leads team meetings on product delivery and fulfillment.
• Initiates and develops concepts for new products from market requirement specifications (MRS) provided by VP of Product and investigates and reviews competitor samples and documentation to place the Company in the vanguard of new product design,
• Looks for areas of improvement directed at design elements or product offerings that materially advance the aesthetic designs presently offered to the market. This includes investigation and sourcing of new or alternate processes, equipment and changes in technology.
• Collaborates with Company’s machine shop and external vendors in fabrication of prototypes and assembly of samples.
• Generates and revises CAD drawings and models, component inspection, and prototype builds; also evaluates product testing results.
• Utilizes best practices, including DFM, DFA, and tolerance stack analysis in collaboration with Manufacturing, Supply Chain, and vendors to ensure product designs are optimized for cost, quality, and performance.
• Consults with Company’s General Counsel on intellectual property considerations.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Excellent eye and refined taste in aesthetic design and product exceptionalism.
• Compelling portfolio of work that demonstrates the preceding bullet.
• Experience with user-centered design principles and best practices.
• Ability to successfully work on multiple deliverables in parallel.
• Capable of taking critical feedback to concepts well, with agility to adapt design elements and intent to suit the Company’s needs.
• Strong multi-tasking, communication (including written communication) and teamwork skills to influence cross-functional teams while maintaining ability to work independently.
• Able to clearly communicate concepts and designs through sketches, wireframes, high fidelity comps, and prototypes.
• Passionate in finding resolutions to problems, articulate in expressing solutions, gifted in communication with outside architects and designers to absorb market feedback.
Required Education and Experience:
• Bachelor’s degree in industrial design, product design or relevant arts curriculum.
• Bachelor’s degree in mechanical, electromechanical, or other technical/analytical field.
• Minimum of 5+ years’ work experience in fast paced product design and development.
• Experienced in 2D, 3D CAD software (AutoCAD, SolidWorks).
• Highly skilled in Photoshop, Illustrator, Sketch, Keynote and other design tools.
• Relevant work experience in extended periods of time with past employment as a product designer.
Preferred Education and Experience:
• Master’s degree in industrial and product design or relevant arts curriculum.
• Experience working in architecture and/or interior finish-out a plus.
• Basic knowledge of castings (die and investment), forgings, plastic injection moldings, extrusions, machining, heat sink design, sheet metal, surface treatments (powder coating, painting, plating) and stamping a plus.
• Awareness of light sources and LED technologies, including LED components, drivers, control systems, and thermal management (simulation and testing) a plus.
Lucifer Lighting is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer