The medical device sector is in need of thoughtful design – not just clinical need and functionality, but meaningful form development and interactions. Our Respiratory Interventions (RI) team at Medtronic is working to create these types of experiences and answer the question: what can we do to make rewarding experiences for clinicians and patients? We’re seeking a Product Designer to jointly carry out the physical product experience from its beginnings all the way to production. This candidate will not only envision a better future with our interdisciplinary team, but truly build it from the ground up.
If this sounds like you, come join our team in pursuing Medtronic’s values – alleviating pain, restoring health and extending life – through meaningful design.
A Day in the Life
Our Product Designer will be key to our design-led process. As a facilitator through the design journey, the designer will take research insights and work with the cross-functional teams to deliver products that users love to use. They help streamline our time to market and build quality in at every step.
Every day, you will work with your cross-functional team to meet the challenges at hand. You will follow a human-centered design process to deliver solutions that meet the unmet needs of users, while also capturing their imagination through pure form and intuitive functionality. You will be responsible for brainstorming concepts, sketching, prototyping mockups, participating in design critiques, refining design directions and finalizing design details. This will be done in close collaboration with the full development team to strike the right balance of the product’s Appeal, Cost, Technical Feasibility, Reliability and Manufacturability.
• Participating in generative design research within clinical environments to identify spoken and unspoken user needs
• Supporting the design researcher in creating research-related design deliverables
• Translating identified user needs or opportunities into product design concepts
• Ideating quickly and iteratively through rapid sketching, prototyping and general “tinkering”
• Participating in design critiques and refining design directions
• Designing products with consistency, inspiring aesthetics, and a keen eye for subtle details
• Understanding technology, production methods and materials to create products that meet both user needs and are manufacturable
• Working with Advanced Manufacturing Engineers to integrate manufacturing consideration without compromising the design intent of the product
• Minimum of 2 years of relevant experience, or advanced degree with 0 years of experience
Nice to Have
• Bachelor’s or post-graduate degree in a design-related discipline, such as Industrial Design
• 3+ years of professional design experience, whether in-house or consultancy
• Comfortable with ambiguity and synthesizing complex information into simple design solutions
• Excellent at surface modeling (Rhino, SolidWorks or equivalent) to translate functional and aesthetic form concepts into three dimensions
• Skilled at sketching, prototyping and graphic/presentation software (ie Adobe Suite products)
• Leans into “tinkering” and has strong knowledge of prototyping techniques
• Self-starter who takes initiative and drives to solutions across teams
• Always a team player, with an eagerness to learn and willingness to share
• Previous experience in medical device development (particularly experience in clinical environment) or new product development experience
• Business Acumen
It is the policy of Medtronic to provide equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, Medtronic will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.
This employer participates in the federal E-Verify program to confirm the identity and employment authorization of all newly hired employees. For further information about the E-Verify program, please click here: http://www.uscis.gov/e-verify/employees
NOTE: International candidates must hold a valid US working permit.
Interested candidates should provide a CV and Portfolio of your work (PDF or online)