Under the general direction of the Director of Engineering, the Product Designer will create innovative new tools that solve problems, enabling professionals in the rope rescue, rope access, and work at height industries to do their jobs with greater safety and efficiency. This position will be hands on, collaborative and team based working closely with Engineering, Product Strategy, Operations and Marketing teams as well as the CMC School and industry experts.
Product Design 60%
• Lead new product design efforts (rope rescue hardware, harnesses, bags, packs, systems, etc.) from initial concept into production.
• Update and improve existing product lines to ensure continued market success.
• Drive product innovation through new materials, technology integration, and
advanced manufacturing methods.
• Create and implement a cohesive design language across our product portfolio.
• Create and maintain complete product data packages including design drawings, bill of materials, tech packs, and component specifications for both new and existing products.
• Document design and analysis efforts in technical reports and design review presentations.
• Perform project management responsibilities that include developing budgets and schedules, estimating tasks and resources, holding project meetings, etc. as necessary.
• Coordinate with the product management team to develop products requirement and specifications.
• Coordinate with operations and manufacturing engineering to implement Design for Manufacturability (DFM), and ease of assembly techniques into product development projects.
• Coordinate with supply chain to evaluate and qualify new suppliers and processes.
• Travel occasionally, with medium customer interaction and high vendor interaction.
Prototyping and Testing 25%
• Use rapid manufacturing and onsite equipment to develop physical prototypes to bring life to ideas, inform design decisions, prove concepts, and drive the development process.
• Develop and support test programs using the CMC Lab, CMC School and other industry experts.
Research and Experimentation 15%
• Research market trends and their impact on new product designs.
• Explore new concepts, ideas, processes and technologies to enhance our design processes and inform our product strategy.
• Document and present learning to a cross-functional team.
SKILLS KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES:
• In depth experience in product design, analysis, and CAD.
• Proactive, with demonstrated ability to move projects forward without continuous
• Wide knowledge of materials and manufacturing methods.
• Must be a creative thinker with strong problem solving skills.
• Experience using hand and power tools required, machining knowledge and experience desired.
• Experience with rope, textile and/or sewn goods desired.
• Strong communication skills required, both verbal and written.
• Must enjoy and be effective working in a team environment.
QUALIFICATIONS (Education and experience)
• BS/BA degree in Industrial Design, or equivalent degree preferred or relevant work experience.
• 5+ years of proven commercial success designing technical products
• DFM, DFSS certification preferred.
• 5 Years CAD design experience, 3D solid modeling experience preferred, SolidWorks highly desirable.
Working conditions are in a normal office environment. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to walk; sit and stand; using the hands to handle, finger, or feel objects, tools, or controls. Occasionally, the employee must crouch or kneel. The employee must occasionally exert or lift up to 40 pounds. Successful performance requires good eyesight with or without corrective lens. Requires long periods of time working at a computer and includes phone work. Some travel is required.
• Participation in our Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP)
• Medical, Dental, Vision Insurance
• 401k with Company match
• PTO, and 8 paid Holidays
• Great company culture, we help save lives!!
• Option to work remote!