POSITION: Senior Graphic Designer
POSTING DATE: July 18, 2019
REPORTS TO: Director of Marketing and Communications
WORK SCHEDULE: 40 hours per week, Monday- Friday with occasional evenings and weekends
CLASSIFICATION: Full-time, exempt
Berkeley Repertory Theatre, a Tony Award-winning theatre company in Berkeley, CA, seeks a highly creative, detail oriented, and collaborative designer for the position of Senior Graphic Designer. This role works with the Director of Marketing and Communications to develop and maintain Berkeley Repertory Theatre’s visual branding identity across print and digital channels for all marketing, fundraising, and educational efforts. The Senior Graphic Designer collaborates with a high-functioning, fast-paced marketing team, ensuring that all messaging is delivered in a visually engaging and impactful way.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
• Develop, set, and administer guidelines that maintain a high level of excellence and consistency across all branded materials.
• Design all public-facing collateral for the theatre’s many marketing, box office, fundraising, and educational endeavors, including but not limited to: print and digital advertising, postcards, posters, brochures, performance programs (magazines), direct mail packages, social media graphics, large and small environmental displays, apparel and merchandise, invitations, mobile graphics, email templates, web banners, and more.
• Project manage design projects, including budgeting, creating timelines, communicating with stakeholders, and utilizing browser-based project management systems such as Smartsheet and Basecamp to meet required deadlines.
• Conceptualize, pitch, and design show artwork for 8-10 plays per year in collaboration with artists and artistic leaders that will be effective for uses in all media applications.
• Ensure data and files are organized, stored, and backed up appropriately.
• Spec projects, solicit estimates, and maintain excellent relationships with printers, photographers, and other third-party vendors.
• Learn and adhere to various union guidelines when handling photo and video assets.
• Supervisory duties:
o Select, mentor, train, and supervise a year-round Graphic Design Fellow each year. Assess the fellow’s growth and abilities and delegate projects as appropriate.
• Conceptualize and consult on photography for advance press needs.
• Capture special event photography when needed.
• Provide expertise and input on visual elements of video projects to make sure they adhere to brand standards.
• Work on-site at Berkeley Rep’s offices in northwest Berkeley.
• Execute other duties as assigned.
Preferred candidate will possess the following qualifications:
• Minimum 3-5 years of professional art direction or graphic design experience in an agency or in-house setting.
• BFA or Bachelor’s degree in graphic design, or equivalent experience.
• Experience managing/supervising other creatives.
• Experience contributing to video production projects.
• Extremely detail-oriented.
• Flexibility and openness to priorities that change quickly.
• Strong desire to mentor an early-career creative professional.
• Interest in the performing arts (theatre experience not specifically required).
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
• Ability to distill complex, abstract ideas and emotions into stunning visual concepts.
• Advanced ability to apply design principles (typography, layout, color, etc.) to any project of any size.
• Expert skill in Adobe Creative Cloud Suite on a Mac OS (with particular focus on InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, Lightroom, Acrobat).
• Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively both within the marketing department and with colleagues across departments to fulfill the unique needs of projects.
• Comfort using Microsoft Office Suite and Keynote.
• Knowledge of project management applications.
• Ability to design for both print and digital products.
• Ability to manage and prioritize a high volume of projects simultaneously.
• Ability to provide clear direction and guidance to direct reports and foster their professional growth.
• Solid understanding of digital and offset printing processes and principles, prepress file preparation, and experience performing press checks.
• Strong verbal and written communication skills.
• HTML knowledge and experience using Dreamweaver a plus.
• Experience and interest in various kinds of photography (events, portraits, editorial) is a plus.
Berkeley Rep is an equal opportunity employer. Berkeley Rep offers a diverse, congenial, casual environment conducive to professional growth and full benefits including vacation, sick days, and healthcare.
Position available immediately.
Email submissions only. Qualified candidates are invited to submit a PDF cover letter with salary requirements, PDF resume, and PDF portfolio or link to portfolio website to email@example.com with the subject “Senior Graphic Designer.” Only complete submissions will be considered.
Berkeley Rep will contact candidates of interest. Please, no calls.