J&J Design, part of the Johnson & Johnson Family of Companies, is recruiting for a Senior Industrial Designer, reporting to the Lead Designer, Physical Experience Design (PXD). Located in New York, NY, this role will require onsite presence at least three days weekly with two days reserved for remote work each week, and adhering to J&J guidelines.
You are a change-making design professional. Grounded in empathy and curiosity, you are a purpose-led and human-centered leader who is deeply committed to understanding people’s needs and translating those insights into innovative solutions.
The strong candidate thrives in an environment of collaboration not only with team members, but also with cross-functional business teams to develop transformative brand experiences and understands how the experiences will work across multiple touchpoints.
A problem-solver at heart, you look to simplify complexity by creating design solutions through an iterative process. You believe that your work can make a meaningful difference in people’s lives. That ideas spark positive change. That small details yield important insights. And that teamwork is the best way forward.
Above all else
• Friendly, thoughtful and perpetually curious
• Humble to your core with a sharp emotional intelligence
• Able to build trust, even when communicating a dissenting point of view
• Partner with the JJD industrial design team to develop structural product and packaging solutions for our Consumer Health brands by participating in or leading the following project tasks::
• Ideation (sketches, rough 3D models, renderings)
• Co-creation (prototypes, visuals and stories to learn from our consumers)
• Feasibility / Design for manufacturing (work with R&D and vendors to develop solutions that meet our cost targets and manufacturing infrastructure)
• Design for recyclability (understanding of materials, recycling industry)
• Synthesis and storytelling assembled in presentation form for our partners
• Demonstrate your skills in design, usability and research translation to establish user-centered design intent and solutions
• Collaboratively partner with our insights, brand and digital teams to develop comprehensive experiences
• Apply knowledge and awareness of cultural and social trends to design for global markets.
• Be an advocate to drive and implement environmentally balanced design solutions
• At least a Bachelor’s Degree in Industrial Design, or related.
• A minimum of 5 years of professional design experience in consumer-packaged goods and/or another related Industrial design field
• Experience at a creative agency, in-house at a CPG company or packaging supplier
• Possess solid understanding of end-to-end manufacturing methods for personal care and consumer packaged goods; bottles, closures, cartons, conversion (filling), retail and e-commerce distribution and design for recyclability
• Adept at sketching to relay design intent
• Experience developing concepts for user research
• Ability to communicate concepts and strategies effectively both verbally and in presentation decks
• Fluency in parametric 3D surface modelling software (Solidworks required) and 3D rendering software (Keyshot preferred)
• Proficiency in other relevant design software (e.g., Adobe Suite)
• Experience using 3D printers, understand prototyping methods and the ability to build hands-on prototypes
• Design for recyclability and inclusivity a plus
• Persistent and diligent attention to detail, while maintaining overall understanding of projects