Interested in changing the world?
At HP we believe that technology should make life better for everyone, everywhere. This vision guides everything we do and how we do it. In our Office Printing Solutions organization, we have an exciting leadership role within our Design team that will help deliver upon our vision.
We are seeking an experienced UX Research Designer to join the staff of the Enterprise Design team. As the worldwide leader in imaging, HP is reimagining the print experience. Deep and insightful understanding of customers will drive this transformation.
In this role, you will plan and execute design research and testing activities for our print business. The insights and learnings that you drive into the Design and Development team will shape large strategic choices, as well as detailed design refinements across our hardware, software, mobile apps, websites and services.
We are nestled the Rocky Mountains in beautiful Boise, Idaho- one of the nation’s best kept secrets. Wonderful outdoor activities like skiing, mountain biking, world-class trout fishing, and white-water rafting are right out your back door. Low-cost living and friendly people make Boise an easy choice for young adults and families.
• Conduct a variety of research methods ranging from ethnography, interviews, surveys, focus groups and usability tests
• Create and execute research plans with novel approaches that best fit individual projects
• Adapt research practices to meet project team needs under the fluctuating scope and budget of enterprise projects
• Generate insights that fuel ideation, evaluate products, inform business decisions and build greater empathy
• Identify new opportunities and inform product strategy based on user needs
• Synthesize, distill and advocate research insights to map out customer journeys, design objectives and overall UX needs.
• Translate design and business questions into research plans, choosing from a rich set of methods and practices most appropriate for each situation
• Be accountable for ensuring timely synthesis into insights and then working to ensure those insights are interpreted and applied appropriately
• Partner with internal market researchers and outside suppliers to orchestrate a holistic research and test agenda
• Identify which studies and projects should be outsourced and then work through a competitive bid processes and then oversee all aspects of the projects
• Regularly present findings, insights and recommendations to senior design and business leaders.
• Evangelize and educate internal partners and senior managers on the most effective use of design research/test methods
• Develop internal processes and tools to improve the effectiveness and efficiency of all our insights work within the organization
• Provides guidance and mentoring to less- experienced staff members to set an example of design research excellence
• Day-to-day activities will involve you collaborating with cross-functional program teams, design leadership, business leadership and individual designers
• Travel time of ~10% will be required for in-field research activities, as well as on-site work at other HP sights and with design vendors and suppliers
Education and Experience Required:
• Successful candidates must have substantial experience (typically 10+ years) planning, executing and reporting using a diverse collection of design research and test methods. Prior experience in ethnographies, contextual methods, surveys, observation, usability testing and online testing is essential for success in this role.
• Bachelor’s, Master's or PhD in Cognitive or Behavioral Psychology, Design Research, Human Factors, Social Sciences research, or equivalent.
Knowledge and Skills:
• Extensive experience with application and development of design research theories, principles, and concepts for a portfolio of multiple information technology and consumer products and services platforms
• Strong command of leveraging insights to drive the overall UX design for a program
• History of innovation with numerous examples of design excellence driven from customer insights
• Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills, including statistical skills and knowledge of experimental design
• Experience creating customer journey maps, UX objectives and basic UX workflows to solve key user needs
• Experience in architecture of overall product design and technology across multiple product lines is strongly desired
• Evaluating and selecting processes, standards, and techniques to be used in reviewing designs for alignment with overall product and quality architecture; history of implementing cross- platform and functional changes and initiatives
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills; mastery in English and local language. Ability to effectively communicate process architectures and product formulations, design proposals and negotiate options at business unit and executive levels
• Experience working with Product Marketing, Engineering, Market Research and related product development stakeholders
Please note- candidates should submit an updated resume AND a portfolio link/work samples (with password if needed) when applying to this position.
NOTE: International candidates must hold a valid US working permit.