Lead industrial design efforts from start to finish of a new product development projects while collaborating with cross-functional team members across product development, including Product Mgmt, Engineering, Sourcing, and Manufacturing. Will own day-to-day design responsibilities on specific product categories, becoming the ‘go-to’ or subject matter expert on anything design-related for those categories, from strategy to project execution. Mentor non-senior designers as needed.
• Collaborate with Product Management to identify and visualize product opportunities and problems to solve driven by consumer insights and relevant market trends. Includes leading and conducting design research activities and ideation workshops; working with 3rd party resources as needed.
• Translate insights into viable design strategies and concepts; using a diverse toolkit of visual communication skills to convey design intent to project team and stakeholders. Including sketches, storyboards, photorealistic renderings, detailed drawings and 3d mockups/prototypes.
• Lead industrial design efforts from start to finish of a new product development project. Includes helping define process, timeline, deliverables and resources needed for ID work needed throughout each project.
• Presentations to internal staff and senior leadership.
• Support validation testing of new concepts via renderings, storyboards and prototypes.
• Help translate Brand Identities into relevant product design guidelines and strategies
• Generate design solutions and concepts that consider a holistic view of design including: overall aesthetics, functionality, usability, and fit/feel/finish details.
• BS or BA in Industrial Design (or MA in ID and bachelors in engineering)
• 7+ years experience as an Industrial Designer.
• Experience working on Branded Consumer Products. Housewares, CE, Home Appliance experience preferred.
• Expert knowledge of 2D and 3D visualization software: Adobe Creative Suite, Keyshot, Solidworks preferred (would have to learn) Other comparable modeling skills ok
• Portfolio that showcases design skills and problem-solving process.
• Past experience working at a Consulting firm and Manufacturer preferred.
• Excellent Communication skills; can adapt based on audience and situation: from informal elevator pitches to formal presentation to executives and everything in between. Ability to influence and inspire.
• Vision and Creativity: ability to see beyond the task at hand; can formulate and present new ideas or ways to reframe a problem while still ensuring day to day project needs get addressed.
• Time Management: can manage their workload with minimal supervision; ability to self-prioritize.
• Good working knowledge of Consumer Insights and Design/Market Research Methodologies. Knows when/how to integrate into Design process. Knows how to leverage research and how to interpret.
• Proactive: can recognize and address potential issues before they fester… both as part of a project and part of day-to-day operations.
• Strong sense of aesthetics and form.
• Excellent 2D Design skills as it relates to on product graphics, visual hierarchy, and presentation layouts.
• Working knowledge of UI/UX design process and principles.
• 10-15% Including Tradeshows, Factory Visits, Market Visits, and Research Related.