The Gerald D. Hines College of Architecture and Design at the University of Houston invites applications for a Tenure Track Assistant Professor in Industrial Design. We seek a scholar/practitioner with robust research and practice background in UX/UI design, Systems Design, Product Experience Design (PXD), and/or Advanced Technology.
The dynamics of the design field are rapidly evolving, where physical and digital products, systems, services, and the application of emerging technologies are increasingly intertwined. The Industrial Design (ID) Program at the University of Houston is committed to pioneering the education pedagogy with a Systems Design approach that integrates UX/UI Design into Product Experience Design (PXD) with an emphasis on advanced technology. Specifically, the ID program aims to shape a sustainable and scalable model to incorporate emerging technologies in research and design, including Extended Reality (XR) media and Artificial Intelligence (AI) tools, to create a more immersive, interactive, and intelligent learning experience.
This tenure-track position reflects the program’s strategic plan of strengthening the curriculum focus on Systems Design. The ideal candidate should demonstrate a thorough understanding and expertise in the related areas and have experience leading research and design in an academic or industry setting. The candidate will likely be using emerging technologies to conduct research, and integrating these technologies within a broader system and experience-focused design paradigm. The successful candidate will be expected to contribute to the ongoing development of the advanced curriculum, engage in effective teaching at undergraduate and graduate levels, and maintain a scholarly and practice-based research program. The incumbent will have and create opportunities to engage with industry partners, fostering relationships that yield collaborative projects and design-based research initiatives.
As a member of the academic faculty at the College of Architecture and Design, this tenure track position will be responsible for leading research in the focused areas, offering studio and specialized elective courses and services:
1. Play a critical role in shaping the UX/UI, Systems Design, PXD, and Advanced Technology curriculum.
2. Lead design studio teaching, lecture, and lab instruction.
3. Advance scholarly and creative work by conducting meaningful and impactful research and practice.
4. Mentor graduate and undergraduate students and support their academic development.
5. Participate in committee and service activities at the departmental, college, and university levels.
6. Engage with industry partners to create and maintain collaborative opportunities for students and faculty.
-Qualified candidates must have a terminal degree in Industrial Design, Interaction Design, UX/UI, HCI, or a relevant field.
-A strong portfolio and some experience in cross-disciplinary teaching or practice, evidenced by publication in design-related areas.
-A desired record of success in funded scholarly/professional activities.
-Industry experience is preferred, specifically in UX/UI Design, Product Design, Systems Design, or Service Design.
Only electronic applications will be accepted.
Apply at: https://www.uh.edu/human-resources/careers/
Applicants should provide the following.
1. Cover Letter indicating interest in responding to the outlined duties and qualifications, Including teaching philosophy and research interests.
2. Curriculum Vitae
3. Three professional Reference Letters with contact information
4. Portfolio demonstrating proficiency and excellency with design projects in one or more focused fields: UX/UI Design, Systems Design, Product Experience Design, and Advanced Technology in AI and Immersive Media such as XR, including AR/VR.
5. Evidence of success in research/creative activities and samples of publications.
6. Samples of Student Designs from the courses taught are encouraged (All with the candidate’s role and responsibility indicated).
For further information or questions, please contact:
Jeff Feng, Search Committee Chair, firstname.lastname@example.org
Application review will begin on October 1, 2023, and continue until the position is filled. The successful applicant is expected to start in mid-August 2024.
Notes to Applicant:
Official transcripts are required for a faculty appointment and will be requested upon the selection of the final candidate. All positions at the University of Houston are security sensitive and will require a criminal history check.
The University of Houston is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action institution and recognizes protected classes of race, color, sex (including pregnancy), genetic information, religion, age (40 and above), national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or status, and gender expression as required by federal law. Veterans and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
The University of Houston is responsive to the needs of dual-career couples.