The UI Designer is responsible for designing, wireframing, prototyping, and user testing cutting-edge interactive web-based learning experiences and for researching, designing, and implementing interactive UI elements and UX experiences to enhance the usability of the HMX online learning platform. Under the direction of the Director of Creative Media and working with other members of the HMX team, the UI Designer will bring world-class visual design sensibilities and user-experience principles to the table and will create unique and engaging online educational materials that are beautiful, intuitive, and illuminating. Competitive analysis, user research, and persona creation tasks will be minimal.
You may be right for this position if
1) You are passionate about the roles visual design, usability principles, and information organization play in shaping a unique educational experience.
2) You are knowledgeable about UI design patterns, design systems, and current trends in interaction design and are eager to apply them to high-end educational media.
4) You are energized by working in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment with world-class faculty and a small team of visual media, technology, and curricular experts—including giving and receiving feedback.
5) You are curious. You have a love of learning and a passion for problem-solving.
6) You are able to maintain creative excellence while prioritizing the teaching objectives of this educational material.
HMX is an educational initiative at Harvard Medical School dedicated to creating fully online courses on foundational and advanced topics in medicine. These courses are led by Harvard Medical School faculty, working in collaboration with a multi-disciplinary team of experts in biomedical visualization, assessment, and the science of learning. The instruction is based on principles derived from educational research to improve learning and retention, and relies on best practices in scientific visualization.
- Collaborate with the team to conceptualize an approach and then wireframe, design, and prototype the user interface and user experience for responsive web-based interactive diagrams for learning
- Translate complex concepts into user-centric, elegant, intuitive interactive design solutions that leverage visual and motion design to engage and educate users
- Develop concept models, wireframes, and visual designs for the HMX learning platform interface and create user flow and site flow documents based on expertise in UI/UX and information design principles and patterns
- Ensure that all projects are designed to be built cross-platform and responsive for mobile, tablet and desktop, while considering modular designs for scalability, all based on an excellent understanding of html and css
- Test usability as part of the design and development process
- Rapidly iterate based on internal and external feedback
- Design static and multimedia digital marketing materials for delivery on social media, projection media, and other platforms, including occasional print materials
- Design, create, and edit vector graphics, including icons; must have deep familiarity with the workflow for web or mobile using vector assets for resolution independence
- Apply knowledge of graphic design, typography, color theory, motion graphics, and layout to effective digital designs
- Minimum of three years' post-secondary education and/or relevant work experience designing user interfaces and user experiences for high quality interactive web apps and/or visuals, including formats for online and mobile device delivery, demonstrated by a portfolio of successful work.
- The ideal candidate will have outstanding visual design skills along with a strong understanding of web-based technologies and the ability to communicate seamlessly with developers as well as experiment with code.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in new media design, interactive design, biomedical visualization or another visualization discipline preferred.
- In-depth knowledge of design principles coupled with industry standards and trends in UI/UX design, interaction design patterns, and cross-platform responsive design required.
- Experience developing visual material for learning (e.g. museum exhibits, educational games, explorables) and experience working with faculty or other subject matter experts are a plus.
- Experience creating online learning materials and knowledge of adult-learning theory are a plus.
- Experience with high-level data visualization and complex data sets is a plus.
- A background in the sciences is preferred, and a curiosity for delving into and understanding medical topics as needed for developing effective visual communication solutions is required.
- Must be highly organized, intensely detail-oriented, flexible, and able to manage time well to handle multiple projects and deadlines.
- Experience creating digital marketing materials, including for social media platforms, is a plus.
- Familiarity with WordPress theming is a plus.
- Demonstration of awards for past interactive design is a plus.
- Submission of a portfolio that demonstrates mastery of the above is required, including published client work and work that demonstrates how good design enhances learning.
To Apply, please visit: https://jobs.brassring.com/1033/ASP/TG/cim_jobdetail.asp?partnerid=25240&siteid=5341&Areq=51589BR
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law.