Missouri University of Science and Technology (Missouri S&T) seeks an exceptional leader for the recently launched Kummer College of Innovation, Entrepreneurship, and Economic Development. The Kummer College was established to serve as a path-breaking model for social impact, technology transfer, and interdisciplinary collaboration within a future-oriented STEM-focused university. This unique college integrates key academic, co-curricular, and administrative activities related to technology commercialization, business innovation and entrepreneurship, systems thinking, and economic development. Missouri S&T seeks applicants for the inaugural Dean of the Kummer College who are similarly innovative and forward-thinking. The Dean will play a critical role in refining and advancing the vision for the Kummer College and in developing groundbreaking new academic programs and co-curricular offerings.
The Kummer College
The Kummer College was established in 2022 to serve as a hub for collaborative, cutting-edge activities at the nexus of business, science, and technology. The college currently enrolls over 750 students in a diverse portfolio of graduate and undergraduate programs, including a growing array of online and certificate programs.
There are three academic departments (Business and Information Technology, Economics, and Engineering Management and Systems Engineering) and two administrative units (Kummer Student Programs and the Division of Technology Transfer and Economic Development) within the college. Each of these units shares a unique service orientation with the entire university. The Kummer College’s academic departments bolster innovation through interdisciplinary research and course offerings, while Kummer Student Programs convenes a diverse and talented population of students from across S&T and the Division of Technology Transfer and Economic Development provides services for the entire campus. Additional departments are likely to find a home in Kummer College in the future, and the inaugural Dean will be expected to continue evolving the college in a direction that best aligns with its goals.
The Vice Provost and Dean
Reporting to the Provost and Executive Vice Chancellor, the Vice Provost and inaugural Dean of the Kummer College will develop and champion an aspirational vision that establishes the college as a global leader in transformational education and research. The Dean will also oversee the development and execution of a strategic plan to operationalize this vision. A primary aim of the Kummer College project is the cultivation of an innovative academic community at the nexus of business, science and technology that yields real-world applications and economic impacts at regional, state, national, and/or global scales. Given the broad portfolio of the Kummer College - which includes not only academic departments but also technology transfer, economic development, and student success initiatives - the scope of potential impact for the Dean is unique within the University of Missouri System and across the entire higher education landscape. These possibilities are especially exciting in light of the thriving science and technology research enterprise in which the Kummer College is situated at Missouri S&T.
The Dean will facilitate effective and productive collaborations across disciplines that engage key industry, government, and academic partners. The Dean will build partnerships within the university community and beyond that link fundamental and applied research through cutting-edge practices in fields such as systems thinking, entrepreneurship, prototyping, and social innovation. The Dean will also be recognized as a key thought leader in one or more of these domains, both on Missouri S&T’s campus and beyond. Ideal candidates will show the potential to readily identify and grow synergies between the Kummer College’s academic and administrative units, S&T’s larger innovation ecosystem, industry partners, and other external stakeholders.
The Dean will be an effective change leader with a commitment to organizational excellence. This commitment shall be demonstrated through respectful and inclusive communication practices and prioritization of the academic, professional, and personal development of students, faculty, and staff. Leading candidates will demonstrate an ability to build consensus and broker conflict resolution, as well as the capacity for responsible management of the college’s finances, personnel, and physical assets. To be successful, the Dean must also demonstrate a capacity for engaging faculty, University Advancement personnel and other key partners to grow and diversify revenue streams for the college.
Key attributes of the Vice Provost and Dean will include:
• Keen judgment to make timely, effective decisions and implement solutions that effectively address problems and challenge the status quo; develop solutions with creativity, appropriate use of stakeholder input, and a nuanced understanding of institutional complexities
• Excellent communication skills, with the ability to harmonize diverse agendas and convey a vision both internally and externally
• Demonstrated capacity to drive research activity that supports S&T’s goal of obtaining R1 Carnegie status and the Kummer College’s economic development objectives
• Student-focused leadership style, with consideration to a diverse population of undergraduates, graduate students, and professional, online, and/or non-thesis master’s students
• Knowledge of trends in online education and academic program development, especially for mid-career students seeking master’s degrees or continuing education certificates
• Relational approach to leadership that inspires trust, motivates top performance, and creates results that are greater than the sum of the parts
• Resource management skills that drive measurable results, with a commitment to seizing entrepreneurial opportunities and demonstrating accountability
Missouri S&T seeks candidates who bring the following qualifications:
• An earned terminal degree from an accredited university in a subject area appropriate for faculty appointment within one of the academic departments in the college
• An impressive track record of scholarly achievement in systems thinking, entrepreneurship, prototyping, social innovation, or similar innovation frameworks; academic achievements must be commensurate with that of a full professor within the college
• A record of outstanding administrative and leadership success in academic, corporate, and/or research organizations
How to Apply
Nominations and inquiries for the Vice Provost and Dean position may be directed to Andrew Crain (firstname.lastname@example.org), Lead Recruitment Consultant with the University of Missouri System.
Interested applicants are requested to submit a curriculum vitae, cover letter, and five professional references using the link below. Professional references will not be contacted without candidate authorization.
All applications received by September 10, 2023, will receive full consideration.