TITLE: Visual Designer
LOCATION: Brooklyn, New York or Remote. BioLite HQ is in Brooklyn, NY but we're currently in an all-remote capacity due to COVID-19. Permanently remote candidates are welcome to apply with the understanding that occasional travel to the DUMBO, Brooklyn office will be required but only once it is completely safe to do so and office functionality has resumed.
REPORTS TO: Associate Director of Visual Design
COMPENSATION: Salary is competitive and includes benefits like fully covered healthcare, free One Medical membership, company bonus plan, and equity stock options.
BioLite believes in a bright and safe future for all, and that includes life at work. BioLite is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace where we strive to enable everyone to show up as their full selves. An inclusive environment and culture makes our solutions better and our entire team smarter. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression, or veteran status
WHO WE ARE LOOKING FOR:
We're looking for an energetic, versatile designer to join our design team and help strengthen BioLite's visual presence. From web design and email development to packaging and environmental design, all things BioLite brand start and end in-house – we're our own fully functioning creative agency.
The ideal candidate has strong illustration skills both on and off the computer. Iconography and diagrammatic storytelling are a big piece of the BioLite visual toolkit and appear everywhere from our instruction manuals to our product launch videos. You will be the primary force behind the creation and maintenance of our illustration library.
You'll be hopping between digital and print mediums on a regular basis. The ideal candidate has a strong grasp on layout, hierarchy, typography and a general understanding of best practices that apply between the two mediums.
Most importantly, as BioLite enters an exciting phase of growth and scale across both the Outdoor and Emerging Market businesses, the ideal candidate will champion brand consistency and accuracy through every project, enabling us to create a brand that is powerful, recognizable, and differentiated.
These are the tasks you'll tackle on a daily basis:
- Illustration and Iconography: Create new assets for use across our various print, digital and environmental mediums. Maintain our illustration design system in a way that allows for quick recall and application.
- Email Campaigns: Work within a set of approved templates and occasionally create new modules to support email campaigns.
- Digital Design & Development: Using BioLite's Brand Standards and UI kit, translate approved campaign messaging into assets for bioliteenergy.com, BioLite's blog, and social media posts.
- Collateral and Presentation Design: Support our sales, emerging markets and customer service departments as needed by designing sales sheets, presentations and signage.
Role Responsibilities You'll Grow Into
Longer-lead projects that you'll collaborate with the AD of Visual Design. Already have experience here? Great! We'd love to see it in your portfolio.
- Packaging Design: Create primary packaging for new BioLite products. This typically includes a mix of layout, illustration and product photography. Work with our Sales & Product Development groups to ensure deadlines are met for samples and production.
- Point-Of-Purchase: Support our sales team and retail partners by creating concepts for in-store merchandising. This can range from shelf talkers and signage all the way up to fully custom endcap displays.
- Environmental Design: BioLite has a significant presence and industry tradeshows and events throughout the year. Create new graphics and occasionally concept new structures to support sales activities at these events.
No need for experience here but if you have these skills sets they will be put to good use:
- 3D Modeling & Design
- Video Editing
- 2+ years of experience in-house or agency preferred. Don't have this? Apply anyway and demonstrate your experience in your portfolio.
- Highly proficient in Adobe Creative Suite. Not only do you know the programs but you know the most efficient way to get things done.
- A strong portfolio with an emphasis in illustration and layout (but don't be afraid to show us your range).
- Sketch, refine, review, repeat. You can iterate quickly and communicate your thought processes through sketches and mockups before burning hours on full designs.
- Experience walking partners through a design concept and successfully incorporating questions and feedback for a final result
- Strong understanding of personal work style and ability to communicate needs and time estimates to teammates: we want to make sure bandwidth and deadlines are rooted in reality.
Resourceful, problem-solving attitude with the ability to work quickly when required, but always keeping quality top-of-mind.
- Comprehensive healthcare plans
- PTO and family leave
- Free One Medical membership.
- Community bonus plan and equity stock options.
- Adventure Stipend (after two years)
- Community engagement activities - we celebrate each other's wins and work as a team!
BioLite is a for-profit social enterprise that develops, manufactures and markets distributed energy solutions for off-grid communities around the world. Our business serves two distinct markets, 1) developing-world families living in energy poverty, and 2) outdoor enthusiasts seeking fuel-independent cooking and electricity.
This is a unique opportunity to join a mission-driven company with both a technical and creative spirit in the heart of Brooklyn.
Your application should include
A PDF of your resume
A PDF of your cover letter
A link to your portfolio or a PDF portfolio (no more than 25 MB)
We will not review incomplete applications.
We are not accepting candidates via recruiters.