Trusted Media Brands Inc
Jun 2010 - Nov 2017 (7 years 5 months)
Oversight of visual tone and voice of all Trusted Media Brands Milwaukee which included Taste of Home, Simple & Delicious, The Family Handyman, Birds & Blooms, Country, Country Woman, Farm & Ranch Living, and Reminisce across monthly and bi-monthly subscription based titles, 50 special interest newsstand publications and over 30 direct-mail and trade books, digital editions, and the Photography and Video Studio that supports all content creation.
• Co-led a Shared Services department that has delivered more than $5 million in cost reduction contributions.
• Led redesigns with the goal of bringing down the age of the current audience, and to grow new audience, newsstand and advertising.
• Drove cover strategies for magazines and vigorous newsstand specials program, maintaining market share through a challenging market. Expanded COUNTRY WOMAN’s newsstand by 2,000 Dollar General Stores increasing sell-through 20% from prior year.
• Helped implement several restructuring initiatives positioning Trusted Media Brands for the future, including rebuilding creative teams to support a shift to a digital-first content agnostic workflow producing content that works across all platforms.
• Effectively led and managed a creative team of 32 including art directors, designers, photographers, stylists, food stylists, and videographers both in-house and remotely keeping them engaged though and an emergence from bankruptcy, and complex disruptions to an industry.
• Played strategic role in many cross-functional brand initiatives that included collaboration between content, marketing, and advertising, brainstorming, and implementation. Including: My Taste of Home Cookbook, Galbani Social Media Plan, Taste of Home Special Delivery Box, Taste of Home e-Series, Taste of Home online cooking school, E-Z Read for QVC, Sam’s Club, Physicians Mutual, other custom and native content marketing initiatives.
• Implemented creative strategy for web-based “DIY-DELICIOUS” videos.
DESIGN DIRECTOR, SOUTHERN LIVING
May 2007 - Aug 2009 (2 years 3 months)
Successful redesign of the U.S.’s 10th largest consumer magazine in 2008 including the flagship and special issues. Hired and managed a staff of six, was the liaison between the art, photo, and editorial departments.
• Conceptualized and implemented content across all the core areas of the magazine. Updated editorial processes while maintaining the efficiency of the magazine’s production, without compromising the editorial product.
ART DIRECTOR/Travel + Leisure
New York, NY
Oct 2006 - Apr 2007 (6 months)
Advised on the redesign of the magazine. Designed of all special projects, including book projects, “The Best Hotels of 2007,” and special issue “Travel + Romance,” and other Travel + Leisure branded content.
ART DIRECTOR, COTTAGE LIVING
Oct 2002 - Sep 2006 (3 years 11 months)
Founding art director. Conceptualized, and designed all editorial pages for the magazine. Devised and implemented cover strategies. Hired, managed, and directed art and photo departments, including staff photographers, editors and assistant designers.
• Directed freelance photographers and stylists for section and feature shoots. Supervised and approved all art-related budget items, including salaries, expenses and shoots.
• Directed planning and design for brand extensions.
• Refined and designed section pages and logos for future issues and special interest publications.
• Winner of Adweek’s “Startup of the Year” in 2005, and “Hot List: 10 under 50,” in 2006.
Art DIRECTOR/House Beautiful
New York, NY
Sep 2000 - Sep 2002 (2 years)
Redesign of the magazine. Revamped photography and styled shoots. Implemented new ways to cut costs, successfully brought in the whole years’ worth of issues under budget.