Voce, Violin Shoulder Rest - THE BRIEF::
Utilize the client’s existing intellectual property to base a new high end range of shoulder rest. The main goal of the range to create a flag ship product that at the same time will grow incremental business and increae overall market share. This will enable the client to continue to dominate as the market leader.
Completed while working for DW Product Development. Local area client Kun Shoulder Rest, a world leader in violin shoulder rest supports (over 350k per year) approached DW with the goal to innovate a product range, which was over 30 years old. The client wanted to utilize aerospace materials to create the lightest shoulder rest on the market. This project not only delivered on that goal but has also created a beautiful piece of engineering and design while creating an amazing amount of customer interest.
• Utilized carbon fiber, replacing GFN, to reduce product weight and also enhancing its acoustic and resonance properties, which are equal to or better than natural wood.
• Further refined the ergonomic pad shape for increased comfort, while also developing a more integrated product when placed on a violin.
• Developed a new infinite adjustment while still employing the patented Kun™ folding mechanism.
• Improved clamping forks, replacing surgical tubing with overmold, which does not harm the violin’s finish.
• Developed a new offset fork design in order to increase positioning possibilities on the violin.
Complete industrial design development, concept sketches and renderings, visual presentations, visual models and functional prototypes. Mechanical design, plastics design and development, final production geometry.
Also involved in client liaison, supplier liaison, materials selection and initial graphic design, and control drawings.
For more info...