UX LEAD, SPATIALAND (Venice, CA)
“VR” is an industry buzzword right now. And the majority of the tech that has been created to date has been focused on the development of hardware and content for spaces such as gaming and entertainment… ignoring the range of possibilities available in retail.
This is the opportunity to get in early with a stealth company currently being incubated in Venice, CA by Walmart's tech incubator, Store No 8. Spatialand was acquired by Store N° 8, Walmart’s incubation arm for developing capabilities that will transform the future of commerce, in February 2018. At Store N° 8, the Spatialand team will develop and explore the future of VR through the lens of amazing retail and shopping experiences.
In this role, you will lead the design and development of the future of UX in VR immersive experiences.
Top reasons to work with us:
- Early stage of rapid growth – we expect to double in size every 1-2 years; this is an opportunity to architect and shape the growth of our strategy, team, and product.
- Startup feel with certainty of life – we live in a “ringed fenced” world, separate from the Walmart operating environment, but with the full commitment from leadership on our long-term strategy.
- Long term vision – we are focused on building for a future that is years away from mass deployment, allowing us to forget about the limitations of today’s current technology and focus on the leapfrog possibilities.
- Access – we are able to strategically use our affiliation with the Fortune 1 retailer to connect directly with the best and the brightest in the industry.
You will love this job if you are:
- A passionate UX/UI designer - you have a portfolio and strong track record of designing user interfaces and experiences in VR.
- A VR user empath - you possess a strong ability to identify UX needs for users in an emerging technology.
- A clear communicator - you have strong communication skills in socializing research data to various stakeholders and distill complex concepts into simple understanding.
- A cross-functional collaborator - you thrive in an interdisciplinary, dynamic, fast-paced team.
- Comfortable with ambiguity - you enjoy experimenting with future-facing interaction research projects.
What you’ll oversee (and often do):
- Create user interface design concepts and product-ready assets for VR experiences that are intuitive, comfortable and immersive for our users.
- Execute user research, interaction design and visual design as a part of a multidisciplinary team.
- Actively test new concepts and designs for internal rapid prototyping and external release.
- Develop and extend standardized UX metrics to inform VR best practices.
- Collaborate effectively with product, engineering and technical art teams to incorporate research into cutting-edge interaction technologies and designs.
- Ensure interface aesthetic consistency across all platforms.
- Stay ahead of trends and share learnings with the broader company to drive improvements in our VR experiences.
- 5+ years delivering user experience product design with innovative user interfaces.
- Experience managing teams, mentoring and developing junior team members.
- Formal education in Graphic Design, New Media Design, Interaction/UX Design or HCI, or equivalent experience in the related design field.
- VR and/or game development experience with a strong working knowledge of both 2D and 3D software for prototyping and designing user interfaces.
- Strong conceptualization ability and visual communication skills.
- Demonstrated experience working with both creative and technical teams to take projects from concept to execution.
- Strong portfolio demonstrating interface design, user experience and user research skills.
- Experience leading user research throughout the entire product development life cycle.
- Track record of informing new interaction paradigms in virtual environments.
- Strong communication skills in socializing research data to various stakeholders.
- Comfortable working on ambiguous future-facing interaction research projects.
- Ability to build cross-functional relationships and thrive in an interdisciplinary, dynamic, fast-paced team.
- MS in Human Factors, Human Computer Interaction (HCI) or a related field or equivalent years of experience.
- 3+ years of Unity 3D experience.
- 3+ years experience with a variety of quantitative research methods (A/B test, usability test, JND test, Fitts' law, RITE methods, task analysis, etc.)
- Experience with qualitative and user-centered design methods.
Pay, perks & such
At Spatialand, we provide competitive salaries and a full slate of benefits including health coverage, a 401K plan and pre-tax commuter benefits. Of course, we also have start up perks like snacks, fun events, and a great office in the heart of Venice. We have weekly Friday team lunches regular all-hands meetings. We are a start-up without the typical risk profile of most startups - we empower employees to dig in and focus on solving big, long-term problems. We are proud to raise the bar so you can too!
Come join us!
NOTE: International candidates must hold a valid US working permit.