The First Years, (A division of TOMY International) is looking for a Senior Product Engineer who fits our company culture. Your mission is to work with the consumer team to create products that help families on their perfectly imperfect parenting journey. You should have the ability to develop a broad range of products, from concept phase to production ready. This person will refine designs for manufacturing that deliver on marketing strategies, safety requirements, cost limitations and schedules, while remaining true to the essence of the brand.
The First Years is a leading manufacturer of infant and toddler products. Our thing is problem solving and ingenuity. Simple, effective design is our passion. We are driven to create products that enhance children’s lives and help make the parenting experience easier and better. The ideal candidate is a strong, experienced mechanical engineer with plastics manufacturing expertise and with the aesthetic sensitivity to bring Industrial Design intent to life and create stopping power at shelf.
• Create, or drive the creation of, files to communicate product details to manufacturing as tooling-ready CAD, and document properly
• Multi task and multi manage projects in a team environment
• Collaborate with designers, marketing, and project managers to deliver on team expectations
• Communicate on a regular basis with our international colleagues and manufacturing partners
• Think outside the box to find solutions that make better products that support business goals
• Manage your process around time and cost restraints
• Design within intellectual property requirements and safety regulations
• Assess competitive product to understand design, manufacturing, and intellectual property
• Maintain up-to-date detailed knowledge of our industry and product categories
• BS in Mechanical Engineering
• 5-8 years of consumer product engineering experience
• Expert in SolidWorks – both solids and surface modeling – especially for injection molded plastics. Able to build complex parts, assemblies, and forms
• Extensive knowledge of materials, especially plastics, and plastics manufacturing
• Broad mechanical ability – can create mechanisms, linkages, and assemblies
• Ability to design and engineer while maintaining design intent and brand aesthetic within a given set of features and cost parameters
• Industrial Design, electronics, and/or soft goods experience is a plus
NOTE: International candidates must hold a valid US working permit.