Design Director & Landscape Consultant
Oct 2011 - Present (9 years 11 months)
Field Factors is an innovation-driven firm, designing an inclusive water cycle through landscape, architecture, product development and data visualisation.
Our work drives systemic change, identifies development perspectives and creates solutions of lasting impact. Our expertise encompasses flood-proof based plans, climate adaptation strategies, technological solutions to manage rainwater in urban areas, and data visualisations for strategic decision-making.
We work together with innovative project developers, governments and consulting firms, with specific focus on housing, tourism planning and urban retrofitting in deltas and coastal areas.
I am responsible for FieId Factors’ project management, creative vision and social impact practice.
Recent work includes:
- R&D towards retrofitting water-buffers in the built environment. NL. ongoing.
- Data visualisation for risk assessment in outer-dike area. Province Flevoland, ongoing.
- Cartography for the National Flood Risk Management Plan: Rijkswaterstaat, 2014.
- Integral model for coastal protection in Cartagena, based on the principles Building with Nature and Multilayer Safety approach. Cartagena, Colombia. 2013
- Spatial impact study and visualisation of MLV strategies in Marken. Pilot project Deltaprogramma. 2013
May 2010 - Present (11 years 4 months)
Maka inspires to reinvent the meaning of design.
Maka is a media platform pushing forward a diversity of radical ideas and sparking the dialogue around creative solutions to create sustainable cities.To date, we are engaging 55K+ spanish-readers from around the globe.
Haz Maka tu ciudad!
Guest Lecturer, Master Landscape Intervention & Management
Universidad Autonoma de Barcelona
Jun 2012 - Jun 2012
The last years I have been conducting research on the economic value of landscape and green infrastructures. Based on my research 'Entrepreneurial Landscapes', I have been invited to organise inspiring sessions with the Landscape Master students at the UAB reflecting on this topic.
Karres en Brands Landschapsarchitecten
Apr 2011 - Oct 2011 (6 months)
As a team member, I worked on a wide range of urban studies and plans, making from conceptual design to strategic implementation phasing. Projects include:
- Re-development plan for the inner-city University Campus Bundesstrasse. Hamburg, Germany.
- Master Plan for sustainable urban growth Freiham Noord. Munich, Germany.
- Spatial impact study of the Botteskerkpark. Amsterdam, NL
Museum of History of Barcelona (MUHBA)
Oct 2009 - Apr 2010 (6 months)
Barcelona en Diagonal is an experimental project exploring a new concept of cultural tourism. It consists of a walking-tour along the Diagonal Avenue, the main axis of Barcelona's urban fabric, experiencing the transformation of the city over the time.
Commissioned by the Museum of History of Barcelona, I worked on the conceptualisation and design of the walking-route, together with a multidisciplinary team of architects, landscape architects, geographers, and artists. The outcomes of the project were presented as a book, a map and a touring guide.
Urban Planning & Tourism Development
Intelligent Coast Group
Oct 2008 - Feb 2010 (1 year 4 months)
As part of the team of Intelligent Coast, an urban consultancy firm based in Barcelona, I worked on various projects for strategic planning oriented towards leisure and knowledge economy.
- Strategic Plan for Urban and Tourism Development for Lloret de Mar. 2009
- Strategic plan for the integral reconversion of a mature tourist destination in Sant Antony de Portmany, Ibiza. 2009
- Strategic Plan for Urban and Tourism Development for Platja d'en Bossa, Ibiza. 2008
Estudio Sarah Garcia
May 2007 - Sep 2008 (1 year 4 months)
Estudio Sarah Garcia is an international design and architecture firm based in the Caribbean, working with a broad range of clients has gained a reputation for executing innovative design. My experience in the studio ranges from designing private villas to luxurious seafront hotels. Projects:
- Mondrian Morgan Group Turistic Hotel Complex
- Watermark Hotel, Cabarete, DR
Architect / Site Construction Manager
Ing. José Alberto Beras y Asoc
Jan 2007 - May 2007 (4 months)
Responsible for the supervision of the site construction of a building for the BHD Bank.
Urban Planner for the Plan of Land Management of Santiago (POT)
Municipality of Santiago, Department of Territorial Planning
Oct 2005 - Mar 2006 (5 months)
The Land Management Plan of Santiago (POT) is the instrument for the coordination, organization and management of the urban development of Santiago and its immediate area of influence, promoting a model of sustainable development for the next 20 years. It is the tool with which the Municipality of Santiago plans the land use and its occupation processes, prioritizing investments and promoting local economic development with a strategic vision.
The basic elements of the POT consists of:
- a municipal ordinance to regulate the use and occupation of land.
- a map proposed physical-spatial planning at various scales.
- a socio-political process based on participatory and democratic consensus.
I was part of a team of architects and urban planners for the 1st development phase of the POT, being responsible for:
- research, mapping and inventory of the existing use of the urban land;
- demarcation of the Urban Area and subsequently 'urban units' regulated by the plan;
- development of the pilot project for the implementation of the POT.