- + Follow
Founder at richard clarkson design
New York, NY
New York, NY
I have always had a great curiosity about why things are the way they are. Since childhood I have been fascinated with colour, materiality, shape & form and have tried to explore how the designer arrived at each particular combination of these elements. I have found that the thinking behind each object tells a story with so much more depth and emotion than the object itself, this ideology is what drives my design process and has begun to define my style of design. While my foundations lie in furniture and industrial product design I also have interests in media and graphic design as well as photography, fashion, painting and architecture. Along with critical design thinking I have a strong focus on the values of designs, often my work references historical objects whose pride in craftsmanship and durability meant something much more than it does in many of the designs today. When this historical reference is combined with the minimalist digital nature of my design work it creates a ‘harmonious contradiction.’ Core to my design style is this harmonious contradiction theory that certain elements which seem to contradict (a popular example could be eco-friendly vs. low cost of manufacture) can and must harmoniously co-exist and a balance point, it is this point that I strive to find in each of my designs.
• Freelance work for Food designer and Artist Emile Baltz at Baltz Works
• Extensive CAD modeling and rendering, and detailed prototyping & early fabrication. Advised on material & manufacturing processes.
• New York + New Zealand product & furniture design studio, producing unique furniture and lighting fixtures.
• Retail and Wholesale furniture sales specializing in one of a kind pieces, which are exported worldwide B2C and B2B.
• Current product lines include cradle, cloud & blossom, all of which have been widely publicized both within and outside the design community.
• Tutoring students and leading workshops on digital machinery and basic & advanced woodworking tools.
• Consulting and advising students on manufacturing & fabrication processes as well as monitoring safety and advising PR for Lab.
• On location & infield ethnographic research to gauge social commerce trends & conceptualize a physical Ebay experience to bridge the digital / physical e-commerce gap.
• Presented concepts and prototypes at Ebay headquarters in San Jose through video storytelling and formal presentation.
• Lead 3 lectures and teaching 50 classes, and assessing up to 40 students projects throughout one semester.
• Skills taught and delivered included basic photograph composition, lighting, camera knowledge and photography theory.
Retail Floor Assistant. Active involvement selling Menswear product to Customers. Gained experience in trending, retail educate, marketing and customer relations.
Inaugural year of two year MFA Products of Design program. Studies focus on rapid making, visual narratives and systems thinking. Courses: Design Research, Systems Design, Business Structures, User Experience, Video Storytelling, Brand Development, Performance.
USA Grade point average equivelant: 4.0 GPA (Educational Credentials Evaluators)
(2008) Associate of New Zealand Speech Board Public Speaking Diploma - Teaching
Runners Up to Dux All Rounder