- + Follow
Industrial Designer / Design Manager
Innovative and creative design professional with 15+ years design experience who applies the latest professional design thinking to business opportunities and challenges. Possesses extensive business knowledge and experience in the research, concept, development and implementation of processes leading to new and enhanced consumer products and retail marketing solutions. Thrives in busy complex work environments driven by deadlines and highly collaborative processes. Leads diverse teams to accomplish business goals.
Currently in transition.
Jeep TJ Interior Luggage Rack
Hardware Bin Concept
Garden Cart Concept
AMERICAN GREETINGS, Cleveland, OH 2000 to March 2013
$1.7 B company creating and manufacturing innovative social expression products.
MANAGER – RETAIL EXPERIENCE (2011 to March 2013)
• Leads business team of 2 project managers to assure product is displayed in retail settings in world class manner resulting in being an industry leader. Oversight of nearly 1,000 sign kits annually from request to retail execution.
• Implements and reports on $20M+ retail signage and display budgets. Able to stay cost neutral year over year and execute at or below budget while delivering on customer needs.
• Improves business processes to deliver excellent customer service, reduce costs and expand process effectiveness. Consistently partners with peers, customers and vendors to deliver outstanding effective results – increasing project management workload capacity 50% over two years.
MANAGER, TEMPORARY DISPLAY – RETAIL DESIGN & EXPERIENCE (2009 to 2011)
• Managed temporary display design involving managing customer expectations, setting strategic direction, partnering to establish comprehensive manufacturing network.
• Managed design processes for request, research, development and execution of temporary displays for production. Streamlined display offering to reduce cost and complexity by evaluating and refining design of displays to suit multiple, changing, business needs.
• Devised long term goals for department, constructed and executed implementation program to meet goals. Improved performance of displays at retail and virtually eliminated need for replacement displays.
PRINCIPAL INDUSTRIAL DESIGNER (2007 to 2011)
• Supported all high profile projects for high level retail clients. Responsible for concept, design and specification of permanent retail displays and fixtures. Work supported over 40,000 retail doors; projects typically ran between $500K and $1.5M. Member of AG Trend Council.
• Designed and managed development of all new fixture line from initiation for major retail partner, providing more merchandising space with improvements in presentation assembly and reduction in cost; sales lift was 4% and aided in retaining retail contract. AG Chairman’s Award finalist for Continuous Improvement.
• Devised and managed “Ready Set Go Green” event at American Greetings in 2008, involving over 70 volunteers, 20 information tables and over 500 attendees. This first of its kind event helped raise environmental awareness and pave way for CSA program that allows associates to buy farm fresh food on site.
PAGE 2 CHRISTOPHER WEIGAND
SENIOR INDUSTRIAL DESIGNER (2003 to 2007)
• Developed retail design programs while maintaining sensitivity to design, cost, and production; project management of high visibility corporate initiatives. Responsible for issuing RFQ’s, PR’s and assisting Global Sourcing with vendor selection. AG Chairman’s Award finalist for Innovation.
SENIOR INDUSTRIAL DESIGNER, AGI Schutz Merchandising (2000 to 2003)
• Conceptualized and designed permanent and semi-permanent displays, fixtures and store environments for various high profile accounts such as Wal-Mart and Frito Lay.
FLAMBEAU PRODUCTS CORP., Middlefield, OH 2000
Privately held company specializing in the design and manufacturing of plastic consumer products
• Produced new product idea generations for various consumer and commercial product lines, including Outdoors, Hardware, ArtBin and Duncan Toys.
AMERICAN GREETINGS, Cleveland, OH 1997 to 2000
MASTER DISPLAY DESIGNER
• Managed concept, prototyping, and specification of temporary and semi-permanent displays.
EDUCATION / JOB RELATED TRAINING
• B.F.A., Industrial Design, Rochester Institute of Technology, Rochester, New York, 1996
Graduated with honors, RIT Presidential Scholarship, Dean’s List
• American Greetings--Leadership Training, general Human Resources, Communication and Management training programs
• Awarded 16 U.S. design patents for greeting card merchandising—List available
• Fine artist, Sole Proprietor of Little Grey Cat Studio
• Member of Great Lakes Biomimicry - GlBio is a creatively assembled and diverse group of partners to develop a place-based, living, learning laboratory system and culture, based on biomimicry, which is unique not only in the United States, but worldwide.
• Carpenter – finish trim and rough framing – part time / full time 1990-1997
Rochester Institute of Technology, Rochester, New York
BFA – Industrial Design, 1996 - Graduated with honors, RIT Presidential Scholarship, Dean’s List