- + Follow
Product Designer. Design Manager.
Woking, United Kingdom
Woking, United Kingdom
• I have 10 years + experience working in a multi-sector product design consultancy and latterly an award winning, highly ambitious internal design department. • A Red Dot design award winner, I work to a fantastic mix of consultancy-creativity and can-do attitude combined with an in-depth awareness of design for manufacture and an appreciation of the necessary levels of communication and prototyping to translate products from concept to realisation. • I manage a Product Design team and contribute at all stages of the development process, from brief interrogation and concept development to CAD for factory release and off-tool feedback. I work to and believe strongly in a collaborative and supportive approach. • I’m responsible for design and development of in-house project and 3rd party design agencies, including established design consultancies and individual designers. • I've spoken to Design students as part of Coventry University's Visiting Lecturer programme and conducted a portfolio review to year 3 students.
Thumbnail sketch development
Kitchenware Photoview visual
• Designed and delivered a product range which represents a fundamental brand stretch for one of our key brands. Forecast first year revenue of over 400,000 GBP.
• Currently in the off-tool phases of two key product developments developed with external design agencies. Forecast first year revenue of over 1m GBP and x2 patents pending.
• Liaising with our FE based engineering team, I work to approve and integrate their and manufacturer’s feedback during the DFM stages and have first-hand knowledge of Chinese manufacturing.
• I work with a range of production methods and materials including injection moulding, wood turning and machining, metal casting, pressing and fabrication, cast ceramics, glass and turned stone.
• I facilitated lower tooling costs and commissioned tooling to increase quality levels where necessary. I propose and enable measures to aid the efficiency of the NPD process.
• Working closely with the Product Management team, I ensure design work is on brief and meets the required financial criteria regarding project budget, unit cost and manufacturing investment.
• I work alongside a Project Manager to ensure critical paths are managed correctly to ensure key development and sales samples/in-stock dates are met, with our QA team to ensure functional and legislative certification is achieved, and am responsible for IP management with patent attorneys.
Carried out design work over a range of fields including the medical industry,
toys and nursery goods, packaging and branding, soft goods and footwear.
Contributed through hand sketching and creating visuals, sketch modelling, SolidWorks modelling and renders, and presenting to clients.