- + Follow
Teo Melchishua Williams
Digital Media & Transmedia Producer | Filmmaker | Professor
Mount Rainier, MD
Mount Rainier, MD
Teo Melchishua Williams (pronounced Tee-oh-droze Mell kesh-u-ah) has years of experience as a digital media producer and filmmaker, video designer, illustrator, animator, VJ, educator and creative consultant in the Washington, DC metropolitan area. He has produced promotional/marketing videos, interviews short films, video projection design, video mashups, remixes for clients and events such the Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts' One Mic: Hip-Hop Worldwide Festival, Club Liv with events such as Wonderfull: A Tribute to Stevie Wonder featuring DJ Spinna, Sole Defined (with dancer/choreographers Ryan Johnson and Quyinn Johnson), musician Marcus Johnson (Flo Brand wines), Art-vs-Commerce (The Shaolin Jazz Project), Felicia Pride (The Message), CityLife, B-Fly Entertainment (Liner Notes and Paige In Full), Source Theatre, WSC Avant Bard, Bowie State University College of Business; performing artists Joyce Scott, Kay Lawall-Muhamed and actress/director Rain Pryor just to name a few. He has also illustrated children's books, book cover design and has a background in community arts projects and using the arts and media to empower youth. As both an artist/producer and a professor in media production, visual culture and hip-hop studies he has moderated, produced and conducted interviews with the likes of Angie Stone, B.o.B., Dead Prez, Bilal, E.P.M.D., Brand Nubian, Gods'Illa, RA the MC, Oddisee, NonChalant, SA-ROC, Sol Messiah, Bilal Salaam, Tamara Wellons, Alison Carney, Wanjiru Kamuyu, Rachel Oneika Phillips and the Broadway cast of the hit musical FELA! Specialties and research areas: Visual Branding, Video Projection Design, Program Administration, Motion Graphics, Animation, Video Production, Editing and Digital Compositing, Design, Fine Art, Digital Filmmaking, New Media, Art/Imaging, Curating, Education/Training, Consulting, Book Cover Design, Illustration, Research, Visual Marketing, Hip-Hop Studies, Urban & Contemporary Art, Visual Culture, Sustainability, Science and Speculative Fiction, Afrofuturism, Diversity, Global and Cultural Studies, Social Media and Creative Strategy.
CAESAR AND DADA
• Video Designer and VJ for live theatrical, musical events; video branding and mashups
• designed innovative video projections, digital imaging, film production and photography for clients
• video projection design received positive reviews in the Washington Post and DC Theatre
• produced intro animation for theatrical project featuring comedic duo Joyce Scott and Kay Lawal directed by Rain Pryor, daughter of Richard Pryor.
• One Mic Hip-Hop Worldwide Festival, Hip-Hop in the Pocket/Liner Notes, The Kennedy Center & Atlas Performing Arts Center (DC)
• Cinderella the Remix, Imagination Stage, Bethesda, MD
• Earth Matters: Land as Material, Metaphor in the Arts of Africa, African Art Museum (DC)
• Sole Defined - performed at the Atlas Performing Arts Center (DC)
• Club Liv, WONDERFULL - A Tribute to Stevie Wonder ft. Stevie Wonder & DJ Spinna (DC)
• Tropicalia, FELA - President's Day Event; as well as Summit, Azonto Festival, VJ (DC)
• The Pitmen Painters, 1st Stage Theatre, Tysons Corner, VA
• Caesar and Dada, WSC Avant Bard, Callan Theatre, Catholic University of America (DC)
• Liner Notes & Paige In Full: A B-Girl's Visual Mixtape, B-Fly Entertainment (DC)
• Thunder Thigh Revue, WombWork Productions (MD)
• Galactic Ritual: A Hip-Hop Theatre Experience feat. SA-ROC & Sol Messiahh (DC)
• Nacirema (co-writer/producer) part of the Source Theatre Festival, Artistic Blind Date (DC)
• Shaolin Jazz - the 37th Chamber project; a mixtape of Wu-Tang Clan with other Blue Note Jazz (PA)
• Make No!se - produced a series of lifestyle interviews (DC)
• Intersections: New America Play Festival and The DC Hip-Hop Theatre Festival (DC)
• teaching undergraduate courses in visual communication, digital media, animation, motion graphics, digital cinematography, web design and new media in Visual Communication & Digital Media Arts (VCDMA) program providing outstanding instruction and advisement to 180+ students.
• successfully introduced new courses in design, 3D animation, motion graphics, self-promotion and marketing, internship, fashion design and hip-hop studies and contemporary art and design
• created new major and degree in visual communication and digital media arts successfully approved by the University of Maryland System and Maryland Higher Education Commission (MHEC).
• effective management of program, adjunct and VCDMA faculty, student assistants, lab/facilities, internships and curriculum. Student enrollment increased to well over 75% as a result of new major
• successfully served as chairperson of the university curriculum committee; member of college of arts and sciences, department curriculum committees; university technology committee and center for global engagement and annual spring arts festival
• served on Middle States accreditation committee (university was successfully reinstated)
• successfully founded the university and department's student group of AIGA (DC Chapter)
• supervision of student workers, junior/adjunct faculty; as well as successful maintenance of equipment, computer labs, studios, research center and facilities
• directed, edited and produced targeted video marketing, creative collateral and transmedia projects.
• innovated digital films, video mash-ups, branding for wine label, lifestyle and promotions companies.
• produced informative interviews with recording artists Angie Stone, B.O.B, E.P.M.D., Brand Nubian, Bilal, Dead Prez and local artists in DC area for online web series and interviews.
• illustrated childrens' book "Shango's Son" written by Dr. Winmilawe, that is positively reviewed on Amazon
• art direction and production of cover art/photography for "Like A Tree Without Roots" written by Teresa Ann Willis; a successful book for teenagers and selected as a finalist for the Phillis Wheatley Book Awards (Harlem Book Club).
• implemented innovative sales techniques, strategies and promotion of Sony products
• provided support and training to sales representatives of Costco and Bestbuy with technical information about Sony Home Entertainment products, including 4K (Ultra HD) & HD Televisions, soundbars, cameras; audio receivers, apps, bluray players and others.
• maintained product displays, set-up of Home Entertainment
• coordinated with Sony Retail Sales Manager with inventory, display and provided customer and metrics on sales as well as customer feedback information regarding products and competition.
• assisted and empowered customers with knowledge about Sony products, technology and information on 4K and smart TVs especially.
• provided mentoring and training to high school students from Prince George's County Public Schools through the Theatre Tech Program (TTP) in the areas of digital imaging, technology, media arts; film/video production, digital photography, visual communication and visual design for theatre.
• instructed students in developing concepts and narratives for digital short films, screenwriting; use of DSLR cameras, sound, lighting equipment and video projection design for theatre and video editing.
• assisted students in the production of digital shorts, blogs and developing portfolios for future including college, and future employment.
• instructed and advised undergraduate/graduate students in courses in visual communication, motion graphics, animation, digital video, web and eBook design.
• participated in graduate thesis committees
• created an innovative course in digital video storytelling, filmmaking and editing
• received Academic Excellence Grant and was selected as featured Instructor for Center for Excellence in Teaching, Learning and Assessment.
• over 85% of students taught/alumnus are working in their respective fields and industry
• provided cinematography and camera support for independent film, “You Never Know.”
• consulted and collaborated with director with production and locations for dramatic film.
• provided superior technical, lighting assistance, production support, motion graphics and green screen for independent and feature-length films, “Lorenzo & Monica” and “Dead.Money” and “Torn”
• “Lorenzo & Monica” is now distributed through Wal-Mart, Redbox and is featured on IMDB.
• supervised script, character development and revisions for independent, and feature-length film, “Painted Smiles” directed by Scott Rainey.
• contacted and organized musicians for soundtrack for film
• created opening and closing graphics/titles, branding, identity, press kit & marketing materials
• provided instruction in computer graphics, multimedia, design and animation.
Graduate Thesis: Me/More/I/All: A Visual Libation. An exhibition and installation of digital art, video shrines, memorials and interactive media that explored issues related to family, police brutality, suicide, the transatlantic slave trade and the life and music of Donny Hathaway.
Art: Photographic Media; Communications (TV Production minor)