Tewodross "Teo" Melchishua (pronounced Tee-oh-droze Mell kesh-u-ah) has years of experience as a digital media producer and filmmaker, video designer, illustrator, animator, VJ, educator and creative consultant in the Washington, DC metropolitan area. He has produced promotional/marketing videos, interviews short films, video projection design, video mashups, remixes for clients and events such the Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts' One Mic: Hip-Hop Worldwide Festival, Club Liv with events such as Wonderfull: A Tribute to Stevie Wonder featuring DJ Spinna, Sole Defined (with dancer/choreographers Ryan Johnson and Quyinn Johnson), musician Marcus Johnson (Flo Brand wines), Art-vs-Commerce (The Shaolin Jazz Project), Felicia Pride (The Message), CityLife, B-Fly Entertainment (Liner Notes and Paige In Full), Source Theatre, WSC Avant Bard, Bowie State University College of Business; performing artists Joyce Scott, Kay Lawall-Muhamed and actress/director Rain Pryor just to name a few. He has also illustrated children's books, book cover design and has a background in community arts projects and using the arts and media to empower youth. As both an artist/producer and a professor in media production, visual culture and hip-hop studies he has moderated, produced and conducted interviews with the likes of Angie Stone, B.o.B., Dead Prez, Bilal, E.P.M.D., Brand Nubian, Gods'Illa, RA the MC, Oddisee, NonChalant, SA-ROC, Sol Messiah, Bilal Salaam, Tamara Wellons, Alison Carney, Wanjiru Kamuyu, Rachel Oneika Phillips and the Broadway cast of the hit musical FELA! Specialties and research areas: Visual Branding, Video Projection Design, Program Administration, Motion Graphics, Animation, Video Production, Editing and Digital Compositing, Design, Fine Art, Digital Filmmaking, New Media, Art/Imaging, Curating, Education/Training, Consulting, Book Cover Design, Illustration, Research, Visual Marketing, Hip-Hop Studies, Urban & Contemporary Art, Visual Culture, Sustainability, Science and Speculative Fiction, Afrofuturism, Diversity, Global and Cultural Studies, Social Media and Creative Strategy.
CAESAR AND DADA
• Video Designer and (VJ) for live/theatrical, musical events such as Kennedy Center's One Mic: Hip-Hop Worldwide Festival, OkayAfrica, Art-vs-Commerce, video tributes for Stevie Wonder (DJ Spinna), Gil Scott Heron, Afrotronika, Summit w/DJ Underdog, Gaia, FlikFest at Art Whino at the National Harbor (MD), Club Liv, Tap & Parlor and Tropicalia (DC), Vivant Art Gallery (Philadelphia)
• designed innovative video projections, digital imaging, film production and photography for clients
• video projection design received positive reviews in the Washington Post and DC Theatre
• produced intro animation for theatrical project featuring comedic duo Joyce Scott and Kay Lawal directed by Rain Pryor, daughter of Richard Pryor.
- Cinderella the Remix, Imagination Stage, Bethesda, MD
- Sole Defined - performed at the Atlas Performing Arts Center, Washington, DC
- Club Liv, WONDERFULL - A Tribute to Stevie Wonder ft. DJ Spinna and Stevie Wonder
- Tropicalia, FELA - President's Day Event; as well as Summit, Azonto Festival, VJ (DC)
- The Pitmen Painters, 1st Stage Theatre, Tysons Corner, VA
- Caesar and Dada, WSC Avant Bard at the Callan Theatre, Catholic University of America
- Liner Notes and Paige In Full: A B-Girl's Visual Mixtape, B-Fly Entertainment
- Thunder Thigh Revue, WombWork Productions
- Galactic Ritual: A Hip-Hop Theatre Experience, Nommo Theatre featuring SA-ROC & Sol Messiahh
- Nacirema (co-writer/producer) and part of the Source Theatre Festival, Artistic Blind Date
- Shaolin Jazz - the 37th Chamber project; a mixtape of Wu-Tang Clan with other Blue Note Jazz
- Make No!se - produced a series of lifestyle interviews (DC)
- Intersections: New America Play Festival and *the DC Hip-Hop Theatre Festival.
• teaching undergraduate courses in visual communication, digital media, animation, motion graphics, digital cinematography, web design and new media in Visual Communication & Digital Media Arts (VCDMA) program providing outstanding instruction and advisement to 180+ students.
• successfully introduced new courses in design, 3D animation, motion graphics, self-promotion and marketing, internship, fashion design and hip-hop studies and contemporary art and design
• created new major and degree in visual communication and digital media arts successfully approved by the University of Maryland System and Maryland Higher Education Commission (MHEC).
• effective management of program, adjunct and VCDMA faculty, student assistants, lab/facilities, internships and curriculum. Student enrollment increased to well over 75% as a result of new major
• successfully served as chairperson of the university curriculum committee; member of college of arts and sciences, department curriculum committees; university technology committee and center for global engagement and annual spring arts festival
• served on Middle States accreditation committee (university was successfully reinstated)
• successfully founded the university and department's student group of AIGA (DC Chapter)
• supervision of student workers, junior/adjunct faculty; as well as successful maintenance of equipment, computer labs, studios, research center and facilities
• directed, edited and produced targeted video marketing, creative collateral and online media.
• innovated digital films, video mash-ups, branding for wine label, lifestyle and promotions companies.
• produced informative interviews with recording artists Angie Stone, B.O.B, E.P.M.D., Brand Nubian, Bilal, Dead Prez and local artists in DC area for online web series and interviews.
• illustrated childrens' book "Shango's Son" written by Dr. Winmilawe, that is positively reviewed on Amazon and produced cover art/photography for "Like A Tree Without Roots" written by Teresa Ann Willis; a successful book for teenagers and selected as a finalist for the Phillis Wheatley Book Awards (Harlem Book Club).
- Implemented innovative sales techniques, strategies and promotion of Sony products
- Provided support and training to sales representatives of Costco and Bestbuy with technical information about Sony Home Entertainment products, including 4K (Ultra HD) & HD Televisions, soundbars, cameras; audio receivers, apps, bluray players and others.
- Maintained product displays, set-up of Home Entertainment
- Coordinated with Sony Retail Sales Manager with inventory, display and provided customer and metrics on sales as well as customer feedback information regarding products and competition.
- Assisted and empowered customers with knowledge about Sony products, technology and information on 4K and smart TVs especially.
- Provided instruction, mentoring and training to high school students from Prince George's County Public Schools through the Theatre Tech Program (TTP) in the areas of digital imaging, technology, media arts; film/video production, digital photography, visual communication and visual design for theatre.
- Instructed students in developing concepts and narratives for digital short films, screenwriting; use of DSLR cameras, sound, lighting equipment and video projection design for theatre and video editing.
- Assisted students in the production of digital shorts, blogs and developing portfolios for future including college, and future employment.
• instructed and advised undergraduate/graduate students in courses in visual communication, motion graphics, animation, digital video, web and eBook design.
• participated in graduate thesis committees
• created an innovative course in digital video storytelling, filmmaking and editing
• received Academic Excellence Grant and was selected as featured Instructor for Center for Excellence in Teaching, Learning and Assessment.
• over 85% of students taught/alumnus are working in their respective fields and industry
• provided digital cinematography for independent film, “You Never Know.”
• consulted and collaborated with director with production and locations for dramatic film.
• provided superior technical, lighting assistance, production support, motion graphics and green screen for independent and feature-length films, “Lorenzo & Monica” and “Dead.Money” and “Torn”
• “Lorenzo & Monica” is now distributed through Wal-Mart, Redbox and is featured on IMDB.
• developed concept and implemented a group exhibition of traditional, new media, design and fashion design based on the theme of hip-hop culture, music and lyricism.
• maintained budget, contracts for artists, vendors and installed exhibition
• created highly successful social media promotion and advertising campaign for groundbreaking exhibition that drew 300 visitors at the opening reception and over 900 visitors in total.
• featured exhibition at Busboys & Poets, DC Hip-Hop Theatre Festival and Congressional Black Caucus
• M3 received press from sources such as DC Modern Luxury Magazine, Voice of America (China), NBC Washington Online, The Washington Post Express and The Washington Examiner.
• produced exhibition catalog, DVD, mixtape, study guide for middle and high school students; organized artist/gallery talk, special hip-hop performances and lectures
• supervised script, character development and revisions for independent, and feature-length film, “Painted Smiles” directed by Scott Rainey.
• contacted and organized musicians for soundtrack for film
• created opening and closing graphics/titles, branding, identity, press kit & marketing materials
• provided superior instruction in computer graphics, multimedia, design and animation.
Workshop on filmmaking, directing, producing, screenwriting and distribution.
MFA, Imaging and Digital Media Arts
Art: Photographic Media; Communications (TV Production minor)