Tewodross "Teo" Melchishua (pronounced Tee-oh-droze Mell kesh-u-ah) has years of experience as a video projection designer, filmmaker, producer, illustrator, animator, VJ, educator and creative consultant in the Washington, DC metropolitan area.
He has produced promotional/marketing videos, interviews short films, video projection design, video mashups and remixes for clients such as Marcus Johnson (Flo Brand wines), Art-vs-Commerce (The Shaolin Jazz Project), Felicia Pride (The Message), CityLife, B-Fly Entertainment (Liner Notes and Paige In Full), Source Theatre, WSC Avant Bard, Bowie State University College of Business; performing artists Joyce Scott, Kay Lawall-Muhamed and actress/director Rain Pryor just to name a few. He has also illustrated children's books, book cover design and has a background in community arts projects and using the arts and media to empower youth.
As both a producer and a professor in media production, visual culture and hip-hop studies he has moderated, produced and conducted interviews with the likes of Angie Stone, B.o.B., Dead Prez, Bilal, E.P.M.D., Brand Nubian, Gods'Illa, RA the MC, Oddisee, NonChalant, SA-ROC, Sol Messiah, Bilal Salaam, Tamara Wellons, Alison Carney, Wanjiru Kamuyu, Rachel Oneika Phillips and the Broadway cast of the hit musical FELA!
Specialties: Visual Branding, Video Projection Design, Program Administration, Motion Graphics, Animation, Video Production, Editing and Digital Compositing, Design, Fine Art, Digital Filmmaking, New Media, Art/Imaging, Curating, Education/Training, Consulting, Book Cover Design, Illustration, Research, Visual Marketing, Hip-Hop Studies, Urban & Contemporary Art, Visual Culture, Diversity, Global and Cultural Studies, Social Media and Creative Strategy.
CAESAR AND DADA
Video Projection Designer | Digital Media Producer | VJ
- 2008 - Present (5 years)
• VJ for live/theatrical, musical events such as OkayAfrica, Art-vs-Commerce, A Tribute to Gil Scott Heron, Afrotronika (DJ Underdog), Gaia, FlikFest at venues such as Art Whino at the National Harbor (MD), Tropicalia (DC), Vivant Art Gallery (Philadelphia)
• designed innovative video projections, digital imaging, film production and photography for clients
• video projection design received positive reviews in the Washington Post and DC Theatre Scene.
• Liner Notes performances continues as a sold-out audiences at the Atlas Center for Performing Arts
• produced intro animation for theatrical project featuring comedic duo Joyce Scott and Kay Lawal directed by Rain Pryor, daughter of Richard Pryor, Wombworks.
- Caesar and Dada, WSC Avant Bard at the Callan Theatre, Catholic University of America
- Liner Notes and Paige In Full: A B-Girl's Visual Mixtape, B-Fly Entertainment
- Thunder Thigh Revue, WombWork Productions.
- Galactic Ritual: A Hip-Hop Theatre Experience, Nommo Theatre
- Where My Gyrlz At" The Studio Theatre
- Nacirema (co-writer/producer) and part of the Source Theatre Festival, Artistic Blind Date
- Shaolin Jazz - the 37th Chamber project; a mixtape of Wu-Tang Clan with other Blue Note jazz musicians. video remixes; resident VJ and digital media producer.
- Make NoIse - produced a series of lifestyle interviews (DC)
Note: some performances ran as part of Intersections: New America Play Festival and the DC Hip-Hop Theatre Festival.
Program Coordinator and Associate Professor, Visual Communication & Digital Media Arts
- BOWIE STATE UNIVERSITY
- Aug 2003 - Present (10 years 4 months)
• teaching undergraduate courses in visual communication, digital media, animation, motion graphics, digital cinematography, web design and new media in Visual Communication & Digital Media Arts (VCDMA) program providing outstanding instruction and advisement to 180+ students.
• successfully introduced new courses in design, marketing, internship, fashion design and hip-hop studies
• created new major and degree in visual communication and digital media arts successfully approved by the University of Maryland System and Maryland Higher Education Commission (MHEC).
• effective management of program, adjunct and VCDMA faculty, student assistants, lab/facilities, internships and curriculum. Student enrollment increased to well over 75% as a result of new major
Digital Media Producer | Designer | Illustrator
- Jan 2000 - Present (13 years 11 months)
• directed, edited and produced targeted video marketing, creative collateral and online media.
• innovated digital films, video mash-ups, branding for wine label, lifestyle and promotions companies.
• produced informative interviews with recording artists Angie Stone, B.O.B, E.P.M.D., Brand Nubian, Bilal, Dead Prez and local artists in DC area for online web series and interviews.
• illustrated childrens' book "Shango's Son" written by Dr. Winmilawe, that is positively reviewed on Amazon and produced cover art/photography for "Like A Tree Without Roots" written by Teresa Ann Willis; a successful book for teenagers and selected as a finalist for the Phillis Wheatley Book Awards (Harlem Book Club).
Lecturer, Electronic Studio
- HOWARD UNIVERSITY
- Aug 2000 - May 2013 (12 years 9 months)
• instructed and advised undergraduate/graduate students in courses in visual communication, motion graphics, animation, digital video, web and eBook design.
• participated in graduate thesis committees
• created an innovative course in digital video storytelling, filmmaking and editing
• received Academic Excellence Grant and was selected as featured Instructor for Center for Excellence in Teaching, Learning and Assessment.
• over 85% of students taught/alumnus are working in their respective fields and industry
Director of Photography/Cinematographer (Contractual)
- INDIE5FILMS/SHYNE TIME PRODUCTIONS
- Oct 2011 - Nov 2011 (1 month)
• provided digital cinematography for independent film, “You Never Know.”
• consulted and collaborated with director with production and locations for dramatic film.
Associate Producer & Motion Graphics Designer (Contractual)
- SUNJADA PRODUCTIONS
- 2008 - 2011 (3 years)
• provided superior technical, lighting assistance, production support, motion graphics and green screen for independent and feature-length films, “Lorenzo & Monica” and “Dead.Money” and “Torn”
• “Lorenzo & Monica” is now distributed through Wal-Mart, Redbox and is featured on IMDB.
Curator, Artist, “M3: MC’s, Mics and Metaphors (Grant Fellowship, CuDC)
- VISUAL JAZZ MEDIA GROUP
- 2008 - 2011 (3 years)
• developed concept and implemented a group exhibition of traditional, new media, design and fashion design based on the theme of hip-hop culture, music and lyricism.
• maintained budget, contracts for artists, vendors and installed exhibition
• created highly successful social media promotion and advertising campaign for groundbreaking exhibition that drew 300 visitors at the opening reception and over 900 visitors in total.
• featured exhibition at Busboys & Poets, DC Hip-Hop Theatre Festival and Congressional Black Caucus
• M3 received press from sources such as DC Modern Luxury Magazine, Voice of America (China), NBC Washington Online, The Washington Post Express and The Washington Examiner.
• produced exhibition catalog, DVD, mixtape, study guide for middle and high school students; organized artist/gallery talk, special hip-hop performances and lectures
Script Supervisor, Music Supervisor & Motion Graphics Designer (Contractual)
- HOUSE OF CULTURE PRODUCTIONS
- 2006 - 2008 (2 years)
• supervised script, character development and revisions for independent, and feature-length film, “Painted Smiles” directed by Scott Rainey.
• contacted and organized musicians for soundtrack for film
• created opening and closing graphics/titles, press kit & marketing materials
- PRINCE GEORGE'S COMMUNITY COLLEGE
- 2000 - 2005 (5 years)
• provided superior instruction in computer graphics, multimedia, design and animation.
Manhattan Edit Workshop
- Certificate DSLR, Editing, Production
- 2012 - 2012
Future Media Concepts
- (Master classes and training) Motion Graphics, Web Design, HTML, CSS, Flash (multimedia)
- 2004 - 2011
Rockstone Foundation Filmmaker's Workshop
- Certificate of completion Cinematography and Film/Video Production
- 2010 - 2010
Workshop on filmmaking, directing, producing, screenwriting and distribution. http://www.rockstone.org/programs.htm
University of Maryland Baltimore County
- MFA Imaging and Digital Arts
- 1996 - 2000
Morgan State University
- BA Photographic Media
- 1987 - 1992
FLASHPOINT DC CURATORS FELLOWSHIP
FULBRIGHT-HAYS SEMINARS ABROAD
ROSEBUD FILM AND SCREENPLAY COMPETITION
BOWIE STATE UNIVERSITY FACULTY FELLOWSHIP AND RESEARCH AWARD
HOWARD UNIVERSITY FACULTY GRANT AND AWARD
MAAFA FILM FESTIVAL
PAUL ROBESON AWARD
SONY INNOVATOR IN ANIMATION