Tewodross "Teo" Melchishua (pronounced Tee-oh-droze Mell kesh-u-ah) has years of experience as a video projection designer, filmmaker, producer, illustrator, animator, VJ, educator and creative consultant in the Washington, DC metropolitan area. He has produced promotional/marketing videos, interviews short films, video projection design, video mashups and remixes for clients such as Marcus Johnson (Flo Brand wines), Art-vs-Commerce (The Shaolin Jazz Project), Felicia Pride (The Message), CityLife, B-Fly Entertainment (Liner Notes and Paige In Full), Source Theatre, WSC Avant Bard, Bowie State University College of Business; performing artists Joyce Scott, Kay Lawall-Muhamed and actress/director Rain Pryor just to name a few. He has also illustrated children's books, book cover design and has a background in community arts projects and using the arts and media to empower youth. As both a producer and a professor in media production, visual culture and hip-hop studies he has moderated, produced and conducted interviews with the likes of Angie Stone, B.o.B., Dead Prez, Bilal, E.P.M.D., Brand Nubian, Gods'Illa, RA the MC, Oddisee, NonChalant, SA-ROC, Sol Messiah, Bilal Salaam, Tamara Wellons, Alison Carney, Wanjiru Kamuyu, Rachel Oneika Phillips and the Broadway cast of the hit musical FELA! Specialties: Visual Branding, Video Projection Design, Program Administration, Motion Graphics, Animation, Video Production, Editing and Digital Compositing, Design, Fine Art, Digital Filmmaking, New Media, Art/Imaging, Curating, Education/Training, Consulting, Book Cover Design, Illustration, Research, Visual Marketing, Hip-Hop Studies, Urban & Contemporary Art, Visual Culture, Diversity, Global and Cultural Studies, Social Media and Creative Strategy.
CAESAR AND DADA
• VJ for live/theatrical, musical events such as OkayAfrica, Art-vs-Commerce, A Tribute to Gil Scott Heron, Afrotronika (DJ Underdog), Gaia, FlikFest at venues such as Art Whino at the National Harbor (MD), Tropicalia (DC), Vivant Art Gallery (Philadelphia)
• designed innovative video projections, digital imaging, film production and photography for clients
• video projection design received positive reviews in the Washington Post and DC Theatre Scene.
• Liner Notes performances continues as a sold-out audiences at the Atlas Center for Performing Arts
• produced intro animation for theatrical project featuring comedic duo Joyce Scott and Kay Lawal directed by Rain Pryor, daughter of Richard Pryor, Wombworks.
- Caesar and Dada, WSC Avant Bard at the Callan Theatre, Catholic University of America
- Liner Notes and Paige In Full: A B-Girl's Visual Mixtape, B-Fly Entertainment
- Thunder Thigh Revue, WombWork Productions.
- Galactic Ritual: A Hip-Hop Theatre Experience, Nommo Theatre
- Where My Gyrlz At" The Studio Theatre
- Nacirema (co-writer/producer) and part of the Source Theatre Festival, Artistic Blind Date
- Shaolin Jazz - the 37th Chamber project; a mixtape of Wu-Tang Clan with other Blue Note jazz musicians. video remixes; resident VJ and digital media producer.
- Make NoIse - produced a series of lifestyle interviews (DC)
Note: some performances ran as part of Intersections: New America Play Festival and the DC Hip-Hop Theatre Festival.
• teaching undergraduate courses in visual communication, digital media, animation, motion graphics, digital cinematography, web design and new media in Visual Communication & Digital Media Arts (VCDMA) program providing outstanding instruction and advisement to 180+ students.
• successfully introduced new courses in design, marketing, internship, fashion design and hip-hop studies
• created new major and degree in visual communication and digital media arts successfully approved by the University of Maryland System and Maryland Higher Education Commission (MHEC).
• effective management of program, adjunct and VCDMA faculty, student assistants, lab/facilities, internships and curriculum. Student enrollment increased to well over 75% as a result of new major
• directed, edited and produced targeted video marketing, creative collateral and online media.
• innovated digital films, video mash-ups, branding for wine label, lifestyle and promotions companies.
• produced informative interviews with recording artists Angie Stone, B.O.B, E.P.M.D., Brand Nubian, Bilal, Dead Prez and local artists in DC area for online web series and interviews.
• illustrated childrens' book "Shango's Son" written by Dr. Winmilawe, that is positively reviewed on Amazon and produced cover art/photography for "Like A Tree Without Roots" written by Teresa Ann Willis; a successful book for teenagers and selected as a finalist for the Phillis Wheatley Book Awards (Harlem Book Club).
• instructed and advised undergraduate/graduate students in courses in visual communication, motion graphics, animation, digital video, web and eBook design.
• participated in graduate thesis committees
• created an innovative course in digital video storytelling, filmmaking and editing
• received Academic Excellence Grant and was selected as featured Instructor for Center for Excellence in Teaching, Learning and Assessment.
• over 85% of students taught/alumnus are working in their respective fields and industry
• provided digital cinematography for independent film, “You Never Know.”
• consulted and collaborated with director with production and locations for dramatic film.
• provided superior technical, lighting assistance, production support, motion graphics and green screen for independent and feature-length films, “Lorenzo & Monica” and “Dead.Money” and “Torn”
• “Lorenzo & Monica” is now distributed through Wal-Mart, Redbox and is featured on IMDB.
• developed concept and implemented a group exhibition of traditional, new media, design and fashion design based on the theme of hip-hop culture, music and lyricism.
• maintained budget, contracts for artists, vendors and installed exhibition
• created highly successful social media promotion and advertising campaign for groundbreaking exhibition that drew 300 visitors at the opening reception and over 900 visitors in total.
• featured exhibition at Busboys & Poets, DC Hip-Hop Theatre Festival and Congressional Black Caucus
• M3 received press from sources such as DC Modern Luxury Magazine, Voice of America (China), NBC Washington Online, The Washington Post Express and The Washington Examiner.
• produced exhibition catalog, DVD, mixtape, study guide for middle and high school students; organized artist/gallery talk, special hip-hop performances and lectures
• supervised script, character development and revisions for independent, and feature-length film, “Painted Smiles” directed by Scott Rainey.
• contacted and organized musicians for soundtrack for film
• created opening and closing graphics/titles, press kit & marketing materials
• provided superior instruction in computer graphics, multimedia, design and animation.
Workshop on filmmaking, directing, producing, screenwriting and distribution. http://www.rockstone.org/programs.htm