- + Follow
Sheffield/ London, United Kingdom
I am a creative and lateral thinker with an aptitude for innovation and design.
I am currently working as a Product Designer in a Product Design Consultancy in Salisbury.For the past two years I have taken my clients ideas all the way through the various design stages. This involves liaising with them and the client manager to ensure the final 3D CAD model meets the design specification. After the 3D development stage, I am responsible for contextualising the product, generating the presentation boards, and delivering these to the client.
In 2010 graduated from the University of Leeds with a First Class Honour degrees in Masters of Design and Bachelors of Design in Product Design.
Education & Qualifications
September 2006 to June 2010
University of Leeds
Masters of Design & Bachelors of Design
First Class Honours
September 2004 to July 2006
Silverdale School, Sheffield
Design and Technology
Art and Design
Business and Economics
September 1999 to July 2004
Brantwood Independent School for Girls,Sheffield
Information Technology, Drama, Art A, A, A
Dual Science Award, Maths BB, B
English, History, Religious Studies C, C, C
During my time at work and university, I have learnt to use a range of computer packages. These packages have allowed me to be innovative, creative and effectively communicate my design ideas. These include:
Microsoft Office 2007- Word, Excel, Publisher, Power point and Outlook.
Computer Aided Design- Part and assembly 3D modelling using Solid Works 2012, Solid Edge ST, Modo 601.
Rendering packages – Photoworks, Hypershot 9.1, Keyshot, Bunkspeed SHOT, Modo 601.
Adobe Creative Suite CS5- Photoshop, Illustrator, In-design.
Drawing- Corel Painter Essentials 4.
Materials- CES EduPack 2009.
Electronics- Boland Developer Studio 2006, Protetus DCB Design Packaging.
Teamwork & Leadership
Throughout my time at Innovate Product Design, and during my university degree I have continually worked within a team. This involves effectively communicating with others to ensure a high standard of work is achieved. This consisted of analysing and implementing research, presenting, designing and development of products.
• At Innovate Product Design we have weekly team meetings to discuss new projects and generate a range of novel concepts.
• I lead my own design projects through to completion, working closely with the client manager’s to ensure the client’s needs and requirements are met, and the highest standards for each product has been achieved.
• During my masters, I completed a major team project where I was required to work with other product designers and mechanical engineers as multi-disciplinary unit. The brief was set by Minky Homecare Ltd. based in Rochdale. My role within the team was a CAD Technician and Manufacturing Engineer where I was responsible for overlooking the CAD process, manufacturing awareness and modelling.
• At Innovate Product Design I am involved in a number of weekly meetings with clients who are all from different backgrounds. I lead the initial idea commission meetings, consisting of an in-depth discussion of the features involved in their product and talk them through the design process involved.
• I liaise with the client managers and the clients on a daily basic to ensure they are updated with design progression.
• I provide clients with a high quality visualisation package, providing them with professional presentation material that clearly commutates their idea when they come to approach industry.
• In the past I have presented to the Minky Home Care Board of Directors and to external clients at Oldham Engineering.
• At Innovate Product design I am constantly problem solving for a wide range of products. Each project has different technical problems, and I have become skilled at recognising these and providing effective solutions.
• I am quick to adapt to the requirements of project. For example, at Innovate I had a 5 day deadline, in which time I had to learn new a CAD software (MODO 601) and complete the client’s design.
• During my second year of university I was awarded 1st prize for my individual sustainability development project. I had to design a solution that would fully incorporate public transportation to out-of-tow shopping centres. I designed an innovative carrying device so consumers would take public transportation instead of using cars.
• At Innovate Product Design, I designed and developed a product that is currently getting manufactured and in the next upcoming months, the first test run will be used in 500 NHS hospitals across the UK. My client has also gained interest from the US market and has secured a meeting with them in November.
• My own personal design innovations such as Orbital, Curv, Eco Shel and Travel pod have been featured in a verity of design magazines and websites, and these have generated vast interest.
• Throughout my four years studying at university, I acquired great time management skills. This has been due to the heavy workload which has been predominantly coursework based, requiring self motivation to ensure deadlines are achieved and the project is of a high standard.
• Whilst working at Innovate Product Design my time keeping skills have been of great use when working towards short deadlines.
August 2010 to Present
Innovate Product Design, Salisbury
My role within the product design consultancy is to have meetings with clients to discuss their needs and to assess the expectations of their project. I then carry out the initial research, which includes examining existing patents, investigating similar products on the market and considering any technology that is integral to the design. I would then go on to generate a range of innovative concept sketches based on the clients initial idea. From here I would generate a CAD model of the clients chosen concept, and develop the products technical details. Sometimes it is necessary for me to validate the manufacturing feasibility of the product, along with how the internal components are integrated. Finally, I produce photorealistic renders and visualisations of the product in context on professional presentation boards. These are designed to effectively communicate the benefits of the client’s product to third parties, and help gain the confidence of potential investors or licensees. I have also created proof of principle and near production level prototypes. This involved designing parts for manufacture, outsourcing rapid prototyping and machined parts, and testing the product after fabrication.
January 2009 to December 2009
Oldham Engineering, Oldham
Technical Project Engineering Assistant: Creating databases for the nuclear contracts, presenting to clients, designing boards for exhibitions.
May 2007 to May 2008
Acorn Inn, Sheffield
Bar work- Taking orders, working on the tills, glass collecting.
May 2005 to May 2007
First Contact Catering and Hospitality Industry, Sheffield
Silver service waitress- serving food and drinks.
Kiosk work- working on the tills, counting stock and cashing up.
September 2004 to October 2005
Retail Assistant- Working on the tills. Being responsible for keeping the store tidy. Being part of a team. Dealing with customer’s needs and queries.
June 2008 to August 2008
Ideas2Develop, AESSEAL plc, Global Technology Centre, Rotherham
• Learned Solid Edge CAD software.
• Carrying out initial diligence on a number of projects.
• Search and read patents.
• Conducted Patent drawings.
• Improved drawing skills.
• Carrying out direct and indirect research.
University of Leeds
2008- 2nd prize Team Sustainability Development Project.