Feb 2009 - Present (12 years 3 months)
• Oversee all of Fox Juniors Design from conception to execution, managing apparel and accessories.
• Responsible for managing design staff in all aspects of design process including:
o Market research, seasonal direction, mood board creation, designing, development and fit.
• Ensure consistency of look between differing businesses (ex. knits/fleece/wovens/accessories) by working closely with design and art team.
• Create an effective work environment by developing a common vision, setting clear objectives, expecting teamwork, recognizing outstanding performance, and maintaining open communications. Develop staff through coaching, annual reviews, and establishing performance development plans.
• Work closely with merchandising team to help balance apparel offering.
• Travel as needed to overseas factories to assist in development and timely execution of prototypes (China, Peru).
• Shop domestic and global market for inspiration (Australia, Japan, Hong Kong, Holland, Spain, Argentina).
• Work with marketing team on creating outfits for seasonal photo shoot, workbook and web campaign.
• Regularly present seasonal direction and apparel line to CEO, domestic and global sales team.
Associate Sweater Designer- Free People
Jul 2008 - Dec 2008 (5 months)
• Designed and executed sweaters for Free People division.
• Sketched and mocked samples in-house: sewed samples, knit swatches and dyed fabrics by hand. Deconstructed vintage finds and worked with assistant on creating knit downs on in house knitting machine.
• Shopped local thrift shops and New York boutiques regularly.
• Managed an assistant.
Aug 2006 - Jun 2008 (1 year 10 months)
• Designed cut & sew knits (women’s and men’s), woven bottoms and sweaters.
• Launched an organic knits collection that was manufactured in California.
• Designed cashmere sweater collection, working closely with overseas vendors.
• Responsible for creating detailed tech packs, which were passed to in-house sample room.
• Continually developed fabrics with domestic vendors creating custom stripes, all over prints and trend right knits for the season.
• Worked closely with local washhouse to create premium butter soft jerseys with a unique garment dye look.
o Burnouts, cross-dye, dip dye, tie-dye, mineral wash, and enzyme wash.
• Created mood boards of trends, silhouettes and print direction.
• Collaborated with merchant and design director to influence color palate of the season.
• Went on bi-monthly shopping reports (Los Angeles, New York) and attended trade shows.
Jun 2005 - Jun 2006 (1 year)
• Assisted head designer with denim collection from predevelopment to producing salesmen samples in-house.
• Helped execute designs by working with in-house pattern makers, sewers, wash house and embroidery team.
• Assisted head designer with sketching, back pocket embroideries and trend research.
• Created and updated style sheets with technical flats and construction information.
May 2003 - Jun 2005 (2 years 1 month)
• Placed art on basic tees using Shepard Fairey's original artwork. Teched art size, placement and PMS call outs.
• Ordered American Apparel blanks and worked with domestic washhouse to implement custom washing and dying techniques.
• Worked with in house print vendor to approve strike offs.
• Helped trend research and cad for head designer.