Feb 2011 - May 2014 (3 years 3 months)
Responsible for the innovation and design of all soling products and components.
• Conceptualize, render, model and present designs for industrial soling product lines. Use a variety of software (Photoshop, Illustrator, SolidWorks, Sketchbook Pro) to demonstrate and communicate ideas to technical, sales and client teams. Use extensive process knowledge within design practices to ensure client cost and margin goals are being met.
• Fit test, wear test and performance test soling components and sfinished goods. Daily wear and use of products in a variety of situations to determine product integrity, reliability and comfort levels. Document and advise appropriate teams of results and recommendations (sales, marketing, product development, sourcing).
• Conduct field research to identify trends in industry by attending trade shows and design conferences. Staying ahead of competitors products and exceeding customer expectations.
• Develop and maintain positive client relationships. Present to clients conceptual and finished products and demonstrate advantages and educate them on design methodology and seek feedback.
• Align and collaborate with internal and international design teams to prioritize project load, strengthen design skills and offerings and meet client deadlines.
• Actively oversee design work from subcontracted companies to ensure design, materials and performance are true to Vibram quality standards and industry reputation.
• Research and engineer new technologies including Two-Color Molding, Cocoon, and EVA and rubber co-molding into existing product lines. Actively incorporate these new technologies into new product innovation.
Dec 2006 - Jan 2011 (4 years 1 month)
Responsible for design and production of client-specific performance footwear.
• Project management of multiple concurrent projects. Prioritize design projects to meet or beat client deadlines. Meet with clients, sales teams and developers to establish and communicate design and product requirements.
• Design specification packs including creation and revision of blueprint specs.
• Render new design concepts. Creatively execute new product design using new and existing materials and technologies.
• Travel to Italy for one month at a time to collaborate with the international design team and connect with global company resources. Travel to China to oversee projects being built at the test facility in Guangzhou, China.
• Long-term development projects including feet for Boston Dynamics robots, moving lug concept to increase traction, advanced molding and flash removal techniques.
• Lead the company Culture Committee to plan and promote team building events and activities.
Jul 2004 - Dec 2006 (2 years 5 months)
Lead designer for footwear consulting design company.
• Design performance, casual, military, dress and outdoor footwear.
• Sketch concepts, correct blue prints, refine pullovers and spec-ed materials.
• Lead a team of three designers, train design interns.
• Manage time lines and deliverables.