Jan 2011 - Present (10 years 8 months)
Spearhead art direction and graphic design for entertainment, publishing, toy companies, and kids’ products. Demonstrate expertise in print, packaging, product graphics, branding, style guides, marketing materials, publication design, exhibition graphics, digital design, and motion graphics. Guide all aspects of projects from concept to execution, meeting deadlines and delivering top-quality design. Establish and nurture trusting long-term relationships with wide range of clients by creating original concepts based on the clients specific branding needs.
● Built relationships with diverse set of clients including book publisher Abrams, startup toy company Caseyboy Productions, independent rock bands, educational websites such as Homeworkcentral.com and The Family Education Company, CVLUX Magazine, Cognella Publishing, Leroy and Rose, the Berman Group, Disney Digital Network, and Disney Publishing and Digital Media.
Lead Designer, MARVEL Press | Custom Publishing Division
Aug 2011 - Dec 2016 (5 years 4 months)
Navigated team, provided creative vision and leadership for Marvel Press and Disney Custom Children’s Books divisions. Led Marvel Press Evergreen, Cinematic, and TV Animated books. Participated in storybook creation as well as hiring and directing designers and illustrators. Developd limited print run custom titles showcasing Disney properties, specifically Lucas, Pixar, Marvel, Disney Princess, and classic characters. Created and initiated distinctive combination packaging to encase multibook-collections, toys, posters, and stickers to name a few. Liaised between freelancers, editorial staff, and external clients including Costco, The Disney Store, and Kohl’s.
● Managed design projects in agency-like environment while meeting tight deadlines with rapid turnaround and quality results.
● Participated in all stages of storybook creation including hiring as well as directing designers and illustrators.
● Handled content creation, editorial collaboration, project budget, and contracts along with book package cover design and interior page layouts.
● Instrumental in reducing Marvel Press development time by 1/3 in comparison to other imprints at Disney Publishing in addition to contributing to $2 billion in profits.
Asst. Art Director
New York, NY
May 2003 - Dec 2010 (7 years 7 months)
Key creative player and member of award-winning DC Comics’ design department within the comic industry. Collaborated with team on branding strategy and independently formulated marketing campaigns. Completed first-class designs for posters, trade show promotional materials, comic book covers, catalog covers, logos, graphic novels, and large format exhibition imagery. Formulated and implemented print and web ad campaigns for new and classic heroes in the DC Comics portfolio. Interacted with well-known clients to develop integrated advertising campaigns and design book packaging. Drove product sales by creating appealing presentations.
● Originated and launched impactful global print and web advertising campaigns for DC classics, including Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Watchmen, and The Losers.
● Led integrated advertising campaigns and design book packaging publications for distinguished external clients such as Lego Bionicle, THQ, Nintendo, Bandi Namco, Warner Home Video, ABC, National Geographic, Mucinex, and Colgate.
● Planned clever branding strategy to debut DC Comics graphics targeting teenage girls via novel imprint MINX.
New York, NY
Oct 1997 - May 2003 (5 years 7 months)
Focused on creating innovative branding and style guides for award-winning children’s television shows. Impacted the creation of hundreds of products, reinforcing global brand identity and positioning the company as an industry leader. Directed design for U.S.-based and international Consumer Products divisions as well as the Global Marketing team. Guided creative concepts spanning packaging, logos, marketing materials, and product graphics. Directed art and approval of global licensee submissions.
● Designed graphics branded style for consumer products deployment in support of domestic and international TV shows, including highly popular and profitable shows such as Bear in the Big Blue House for U.S. audiences and The Hoobs in the U.K, generating millions in revenue.
Big Blue Dot
Apr 1996 - May 1997 (1 year 1 month)
Vital team member of an award-winning children’s design studio contributing a wide variety of design solutions across numerous categories. Led freelance photographers and illustrators to enhance creative print, packaging and online design. Clients included HandsOnToys, National Fire Protection Association, Simon & Schuster and Sports Illustrated for Kids.
● Contributed to BIG BLUE DOT web site; winner of a Broadcast Designers Association (BDA) Silver Award and featured in Best of New England (BoNE) show.