Jan 2014 - Present (7 years 3 months)
Union|Nine is my personal label for my freelance design, illustration, product development and artistic endeavors.
• Designed, wrote, illustrated, and laid-out the 1st edition Shapeoko3 assembly manual for Carbide3D
• Performed the initial form development & design exploration research for the Kizingo Kids spoon
• Produced over a dozen highly detailed and unique jewelry designs for various clients, many of which were completed in collaboration with a local bench-jeweler: primarily engagement and wedding rings, charms, and pendants
• Produced numerous published illustrated works including a VT commemorative book and multiple t-shirt designs
• Regularly design & produce various personal projects utilizing 3D printing and CNC tools
Director of Strategy & Client Success
Nov 2015 - Jan 2017 (1 year 2 months)
Activator Studios is a digital marketing agency providing clients with sites, content, and campaigns for their online success.
• Developed go-to-market strategy & brought in projects from new clients to a fledgling agency which previously catered almost exclusively to a single client
• Routinely worked with clients to develop requirements, scopes of work, and contracts
• Learned about and acclimated to an entirely new industry relative to my training & prior sales experience, and then closed the largest deal for the agency to date within 9 months (approximately 3 times the prior largest deal value)
• Led the hiring process to add two designer/developers to the team who would be suitable for remote working practices and appropriate to the agency’s needs, growing the team to six people across three time-zones
• Created & managed a help-ticket system for a client during eCommerce launch; also provided customer support on our client’s behalf to the tune of 300+ tickets managed within the first week
Interim Student Computing Technology Manager
Sep 2014 - Jan 2015 (4 months)
The Virginia Tech School of Architecture+Design is an accredited, award-winning, & field-leading higher-education institution.
• I was responsible for the daily operations and maintenance of the school’s 3d printers, laser-cutters, and multiple computing and large-format I/O labs across four buildings on campus, providing emergency coverage until a permanent staff replacement could be found after an unexpected staff departure
• Trained and managed 9 student staff to provide comprehensive office-hours coverage for student support
• Trained the new-hire permanent staff person, and provided transition assistance & support
• Directly trained and supported students in the use of large format printing and scanning equipment, DSLR photography equipment, 3d printers, laser-cutters, and computing resources & software
• Created processes and advised regarding implementation for numerous aspects of the student computing & resource access accounts & account management systems for the school
Sales & Service Consultant
Apr 2011 - Dec 2013 (2 years 8 months)
Amtek Company is a value-added reseller of high-quality science, technology, engineering and manufacturing equipment, tools, curriculum and software to educational and institutional customers in the mid-Atlantic region, representing industry-leading 3dPrinting, laser-cutting, robotics, CNC, welding, CAD/CAM, and lab & classroom furnishing brands.
• Began working in a service capacity before a transition to a combined sales/service role—certified to service and repair Stratasys uPrint, Dimension, and Mojo machines, and also had field experience repairing Universal Laser systems
• Sold over $1.5M worth of product during ~2.5 year tenure in sales role
• Sold, integrated, and orchestrated the installation of two multi-vendor, multi-component industrial robotics cells based around 6-axis KUKA industrial robot arms—the first two in Amtek's company history—proving my capability to learn & integrate new knowledge in highly technical sales & product development spaces. One arm was provided for the National Naval Research Lab and the other for the University of Virginia.
• Brought in a product design consulting project and managed multiple subcontractors to produce deliverable sketches, CAD designs, renderings, animations, and prototypes, using SLS & SLA methods & hand-finishing techniques
• Was responsible for all on-site installation, setup, and training for products sold, and either conducted it personally myself or facilitated & arranged for the appropriate install and training personnel from the product manufacturer
• Taught numerous Solidworks workshops for educators and industry professionals, teaching core concepts, modeling techniques, surfacing, best practices to design for prototyping processes, & manufacturing design considerations
3d Printing Specialist & Student Computing Support
Aug 2006 - Apr 2011 (4 years 8 months)
•Undertook self-directed training & developed competency to earn the position of primary operator and maintainer of Dimension SST 1200es printer—even though I was only a sophomore undergraduate student
•Also maintained, operated, and provided student training for my peers on regular output lab equipment such as wide format scanners and plotters.
•Advised on best-practices and produced training & documentation content
•Responsible for rental photography equipment check-out and care