Advanced Applied Physics Solutions
Apr 2012 - Dec 2012 (8 months)
AAPS is developing a new geotomography technique based on muon-detection, and I was involved in producing a small run of detectors for mining exploration, including documentation of operational procedures.
The HiVE Vancouver
Sep 2011 - Dec 2011 (3 months)
The Hive Vancouver provides shared work space for organizations in the non-profit, creativity, and sustainability sectors. The benefits of sharing resources empower organizations with a social mandate, helping them to achieve their aims. The Hive also provides an incredible venue for the cross-pollination and creative collaboration that ensues when people with intelligence and social conscience gather.
Graph Tech Guitar Labs
2007 - Aug 2011 (4 years 3 months)
• Product development, and technical support to manufacturers and end-users.
• Consultation with sales and marketing teams.
• Concept sketches, product specifications, mechanical convergence, materials and finishes, manufacturing liaison, and product launch.
• Took responsibility for supporting a modular, electronic, DIY-installable product, both internally and externally.
• Consolidated user experience reports and produced online resources that empower customers to resolve problems unassisted.
• Dramatically reduced inbound calls, increased volume and consistency of sales.
• Designed custom applications for the product, and helped OEM and retail customers to implement them.
• Maintained documentation and established document control systems and policies.
• Produced two installation/user manuals that received praise from technical writers and information designers.
RF Welder / Hull Shop / Frame shop
2005 - 2007 (2 years)
While studying at Emily Carr, spent summers working in production at Feathercraft, making the world's best folding kayaks! Started in the hull shop, then later worked in the frame shop, and always did RF welding. Learned that no matter what a designer specifies, what actually gets made depends on the people who work in the factory.
Vansco Electronics (now owned by Parker Hannifin)
2001 - 2001
Analysed problem reports and solved a problem that was causing 100,000 PC boards a month to be manufactured with a latent defect. My solution cost nothing, and saved the company up to $500,000 a year for the life of the product.
Sled Dog Music
1997 - 1998 (1 year)
Repaired guitars, doing everything from routine maintenance like setups and fret dresses, to custom work installing piezo pickups and making one-of-a-kind replacement parts. Learned to apply risk-management strategies to carry out repairs without jeopardizing instruments.