Apr 2011 - Present (11 years 1 month)
As the lead designer, I am an integral part of the product development for eight major categories of mass produced products within the hearth, heating, and outdoor living industries that are distributed to brick-and-mortar and online retailers across North America.
- Ability to be a trend hunter to monitor industry trends of various related and unrelated markets; online research and in-the-field resources are extensively utilized
- Using design thinking methods to Implement trend research into concept prototypes that can be tested by users and potential buyers
- Concept development using rapid sketching and 3D CAD model assemblies based off of user feedback and preferences
- Collaborating directly with domestic and Asian engineering/factories provided valuable materials and processes knowledge to better understand the production process
Products and Operations
Dec 2010 - Sep 2013 (2 years 9 months)
Although this position was not directly related to my background of industrial design, it did expose me to following fashion industry color and material trends, in particular, mens fashion.
- As a startup company, my role was fluid with assisting the lead merchandiser in selecting, sourcing, and managing quality mens apparel products
- Absorbed valuable material knowledge related to various fabrics and the cost associated with sourcing those particular items based on their material structure
- Provided the experience to be mentored within a fashion driven industry and learn how material and color trends vary between different demographics and markets
IGG-E Threads LLC
Jan 2010 - Dec 2011 (1 year 11 months)
As co-creator of this start-up lifestyle apparel company, I was able to tap into my entrepreneurial side through my creativity and develop products that appealed to our target market of adolescents and young adults.
- Extensive user research was conducted via observation, questionnaires and also focus groups that revealed many of the color choices that were used for initial concepts
- Creation of vector artwork using specific colors from user testing coupled with designs inspired by local musicians and artists that aided in building a brand language
- Expanded knowledge of color composition and how these different characteristics such as tone, hue, and texture interact with each other
Custom Solutions Associate
Swagelok: Scioto Valve and Fitting Company
Jan 2010 - Nov 2010 (10 months)
My position allowed me to utilize certifications to physically assemble the customer approved 3D drawings into the actual custom fluid systems. Thus, giving me a better understanding of how a CAD assembly transitions into a physical assembly.
- Direct interaction with various types of materials and understanding how their how material characteristics react with outside substances
- Determining how specified materials can be manipulated to fit within a given fluid system and also interact with other materials and components
- Responsible for preparing 3D CAD models and drawings to meet the customer’s needs for various custom fluid system projects
Central Ohio Chapter Vice Chair
IDSA (Industrial Designers Society of America)
Jun 2010 - Nov 2010 (5 months)
Aircraft Completions and Modifications Designer
Sep 2008 - Jan 2010 (1 year 4 months)
My position allowed me to work directly with customers on the refurbishment design of their private jet interiors and exterior paint schemes. My responsibilities involved all aspects of the design process; from material trend research, to user testing, to final design production tasks.
- Research conducted on interior design trends related to materials and finishes that appealed to luxury markets.
- Engaging in design spec meetings to establish a color palette by utilizing trend data and creating numerous material sample boards
- Collaborating with other designers to create initial concepts that could be transitioned into testable prototypes via various design thinking methods
- Interacting directly with engineers, fabricators, and vendors to source materials and then implement those components into the final refined design