Principal Industrial Designer
Alex Garfio Design
Orange County, CA
Oct 2017 - Present (3 years 6 months)
Bridging technology and lifestyle. Enabling insight driven designs into meaningful, impactful products and experiences.
DIRECTOR OF PRODUCT DESIGN
Feb 2011 - Feb 2018 (7 years)
• Established & nurtured Fugoo's internal design team which helped Fugoo transition from a software / hardware consultant group to an established human centered, lifestyle driven technology brand.
• Brought to market Fugoo's product line of IP67 waterproof / shockproof Go Anywhere speakers.
• Created Fugoo's product design strategy and brand vision that has challenged and disrupted the outdoor portable speaker market.
• Actively involved in concept development, storytelling, mechanical engineering and manufacturing development efforts for all existing and ongoing products.
• Managed internal and external designers, mechanical engineer agencies, consultants and suppliers.
• Oversee and help define documentation (CAD, 2D drawings, CMFs, Cosmetic inspection criteria, SOPs).
• Conduct onsite overseas reviews of all pre-production phases and ensured successful manufacturing builds through mass production.
Aug 2010 - Feb 2011 (6 months)
• Collaborated with the UX design team to improve the physical and on screen interaction of Masimos's best in class pulse oximeter.
• Conducted end user & human factors research which resulted in key utility patents for Masimo's portable pulse oximeter sensor.
DESIGN STUDIO MANAGER
ACER + GATEWAY
Jan 2009 - Aug 2010 (1 year 7 months)
• Engaged with Acer’s global design studios on research, trend analysis, user interaction and technology sourcing.
• Led the USA design team on product concept ideations while gathering support for product proposals that were ultimately chosen over competing proposals from other internal & external design studios.
• Collaboration and oversight of engineering efforts with many of the world’s largest OEMs & ODMs.
• Conducted overseas pre-production onsite parts and assembly reviews.
ASSOCIATE DESIGN MANAGER
ACER + GATEWAY
Mar 2008 - Sep 2009 (1 year 6 months)
• Collaborated with internal design members on establishing brand identity anchors for Acer’s multi-brand strategy.
• Implemented processes and methodologies that helped the design team focus on end user needs.
SR INDUSTRIAL DESIGNER
ACER + GATEWAY
Dec 2005 - Mar 2008 (2 years 3 months)
• Led industrial design efforts while collaborating with key stake holders from marketing, product planning and engineering departments.
• Executed concept development, material specification, mechanical engineering oversight, manufacturing processes, vendor outsourcing and management.
Santa Ana, CA
Aug 2003 - Dec 2005 (2 years 4 months)
• Developed remote control concepts with a focus on ease of use, ergonomics, user interface and human factors.
• Interfaced with cross functional teams to develop solutions for internal and client programs.
Oct 2001 - Jul 2003 (1 year 9 months)
• Generated production concepts for brands such as Harmon Kardon / Infinity / JBL / Foster Culver / Phoenix Gold / Sonance / JL Audio & Simple Human.