Writer, editor, content consultant
Jan 2015 - Present (7 years 6 months)
Freelance writer, editor and content consultant. Work closely with clients to develop and create content for websites and other electronic publications. Current and recent clients include:
OneAmerica Financial Partners Inc. ▪ Indianapolis
Create print collateral, content for websites and communications strategies for this 130-year-old insurance and financial services firm headquartered in Indianapolis.
Schwarz Partners ▪ Indianapolis
Develop communications strategy and create content for this Indianapolis-based holding company with interests in various businesses and a major focus on packaging, sheet feeders and transportation.
RECENT & PAST CLIENTS
Plow Digital ▪ Indianapolis
Write and edit copy for websites for this user-experience creative shop.
Roundhouse Resources ▪ Indianapolis
Collaboratively created internal publications for a major manufacturing client.
National Association of Charitable Gift Planners ▪ Indianapolis
In partnership with SmallBox, created and edited content for the website launch and rebranding of this national nonprofit organization for planned giving professionals. Summer/fall 2016
Adjutant Solutions Group ▪ Indianapolis
Developed communications strategy and created content for this project orchestration firm in the medical device industry. New website launched in spring 2016.
Jul 2014 - Mar 2015 (8 months)
Developed and implemented communications plans to support the fundraising team at this global philanthropic organization founded by Christel DeHaan. Christel House operates learning centers in India, Mexico, South Africa and the United States. Communications included print, web, email, social media and events.
Sample project: Created marketing plan, including creative and PR, for “An Evening Celebrating Christel House India.”
• Through grass-roots marketing, helped increase attendance by 50 percent a week before the event.
• With the development team, exceeded the evening’s fundraising goal, with donations totaling $52,000.
• Launched a new project management system to improve organizational effectiveness.
• Developed a content strategy for web, email and social media.
• Built a team of freelance talent to support marketing initiatives.
• Organized international photo and video shoots to build a content library.
• Honed PR strategy and developing targeted media lists for diverse audiences.
Creative Communications Manager
Mar 2008 - Jun 2014 (6 years 3 months)
Led a creative team to develop and implement creative communications strategies and integrated campaigns in a variety of media, including international publications for children and adults, creative collateral, websites, email marketing, social media and video. Managed a team of writers, designers and video and photo professionals to set strategic direction, develop concepts, create, design, edit and translate content. Recruited and managed freelance talent to support the team, while also contributing to creative projects as a writer. Promoted from content manager in 2011.
• Built and managed Kiwanis’ first true in-house creative department
• Led creative strategy and relaunch of brand guides for five Kiwanis-family brands
• Launched branding and creative materials for The Eliminate Project, Kiwanis’ campaign to eliminate maternal and neonatal tetanus, with UNICEF
Oct 2006 - Jan 2008 (1 year 3 months)
At a full-service agency, collaboratively developed concepts and wrote brochures, advertisements, web content, podcasts and other materials for clients including Cook Medical, Duke Realty Corporation, BSA LifeStructures and Purdue University. Participated in strategic planning and research. Edited, wrote and pitched press releases, articles and other communications.
• Contributed content to KnowledgeIsInfectious.org, a website focused on the prevention and eradication of hospital-acquired infection
• Developed influential brochures for for-profit and nonprofit clients
• Gained valuable agency experience that influences my work today
Manager, Online Content
Resort Condominiums International (RCI)
Nov 2005 - Sep 2006 (10 months)
RCI North American eCommerce, Carmel, IN ▪ Nov. 2005–Sept. 2006
Managed the planning, writing, editing, budgeting and publication of content for myRCI, a blog with 80,000+ subscribers. Created content for RCI’s website and email campaigns.
• Produced 60+ pieces of travel content paired with resort inventory per month
• Hired, trained and managed a staff of seven freelancers
• Created a publishing plan; developed, launched and maintained 39 marketing, destination and interest channels
Editor in Chief, RCI Ventures
Resort Condominiums International (RCI)
Nov 1998 - Nov 2005 (7 years)
Developed and edited a bimonthly magazine for the vacation ownership industry (circulation 35,000). Managed a bimonthly newsletter, website, a staff of four and a department budget.
• Created a new strategic business plan
• Relaunched two global redesigns, one of which won a national award
• Hired and trained 10 new employees, mentoring each to produce excellent work