Industrial Designer Manager - Helmets/Goggles
Giro Sport Design
Scotts Valley, CA
May 2015 - Present (7 years)
A new kind of outdoor adventure brand, that started out making a bike helmet in 1985 and is now the global brand leader for bike and snow products.
- Responsible for creating Giro's brand-driving hardgoods products: bike helmets, snow helmets, snow goggles, and sunglasses. Collaborate with top professional athletes, Marketing, Engineering, Manufacturing teams and execute every stage of the product design process.
- Creative vision and direction that defines and evolves the brand DNA, design language, and market defining design. Responsible for vast majority of Giro's iconic and industry game-changing product designs for 23 years.
- Senior member of design team to lead Giro's entry into the snow goggle category. My strategic and innovative designs for our high-end Onset, Manifest, and others have driven design direction for this category to help propel Giro to the number 3 goggle brand in the market.
- Lead designer for Giro's entry into the sunglass business in both sport and lifestyle categories. Established a complete line of 12 styles for top professional athletes and consumers, adding new models each year. Unfortunately, there was a corporate decision to discontinue eyewear after 3 years.
- Work with multidisciplinary teams to develop creative direction, product innovation, design strategy, and brand strategy that evolve and grow product lines for bike and snow. Consistently create influential market leading products, delivered on time, on budget, and exceeds sales goals.
- Mentor and manage junior Industrial Designers
- Awarded more than 30 "Best Product" industry awards from such publications as Outside magazine, Bicycling magazine, Mountain Bike Action, Velo News, Powder magazine, etc. Atmos bike helmet has been included into the Permanent Design Collection of the NYC Museum of Modern Art.
Adjunct Professor - Graduate Industrial Design
Art Center College of Design
Feb 2013 - May 2013 (3 months)
Part time gradID instructor helping teach industrial design, 3D form and surface development, brand design language, and technology integration. Using my design expertise to instruct students in how to translate 2D ideas into 3D sketch models and finished 3D hand models.
Sr. Industrial Designer
2006 - 2011 (5 years)
Combined companies of Easton/Bell//Giro/Riddell.
- Define and develop brand DNA/design language for Easton Bike and Hockey.
- Designed concepts and innovation strategy for future high-end Easton hockey helmets.
- Lead designer for Hydrapak brand hydration softgoods product line. Responsible for re-designing entire line of 12 backpacks at every price point. Product development for manufacturing and Asia vendor liaison.
- Creative Director/Designer for Co-Pilot brand jogger strollers and Sports Instruments brand heart monitor watches
- Giro ID manager for junior helmet designer, and developed/project managed multiple projects.
- Designer for 2 Bell bike helmets for critical price points
Nov 1989 - Jul 1991 (1 year 8 months)
Industrial Design consulting firm. Responsible for all aspects of product design from concept to production.
- Had full project responsibility developing new products for major corporations as well as entrepeneur product ideas. Used skills in 3d form development, rendering, ergonomics, modelmaking, mechanical design, documentation on CAD, material and manufacturing processes, and vendor coordination.
- My products won 2 major ID design awards: Industrial Design Excellence award - Silver Medal, for a Recreational Vehicle Awning System and ID Magazine Designers Choice Award for a Medical device.
May 1989 - Oct 1989 (5 months)
Freelance design for Industrial Design consulting firm. Worked on concept development of numerous watches and consumer product ideas for a major Japanese and U.S. corporation. Emphasis was on creating new product ideas based on innovative use of emerging electronic technology. Main accounts: Seiko, American Telephone & Electronics.
Jan 1986 - Apr 1989 (3 years 3 months)
Industrial Design and Engineering consulting firm. Responsible for product design of numerous consumer, office, medical, and communication products.
- Developed conceptual as well as detailed designs, and worked with engineering in generating production documentation for manufacturing.
- Developed well rounded skills in all aspects of design including problem-solving, human factors, rendering, modeling, mechanical part design using CAD, as well as packaging and product graphics.
- iF Design Award for "computer of the year", Tandon