Senior Design Engineer
2019 - Present (2 years)
Natron Energy - Battery Systems Advanced battery storage technology development for critical power and electric vehicle charging sectors.
* Developed UPS battery systems for the tray and rack level, leading the mechanical design and physical layout of mechanical & electro-mechanical components and assemblies, with safety-critical features for compliance with UL 1973 and UL-94 standards.
* Conceptualized and engineered two safety-critical locking mechanisms for the battery system, satisfying a UL safety requirement for server racks.
* Developed a wide range of battery tray components from metals to plastics and employed manufacturing techniques including: machining, sheet metal, spring-forming, plating, 3d printing, injection molding, die-casting, and shielding/insulation.
* Produced engineering documentation packages for UL 1973 testing submission, which included 2D drawings, BOM's, and technical component specs for polymeric and elastomeric parts.
* Designed plastic parts for UL 94 V-0 rating, utilizing 3D printing and injection molding processes.
* Planned, developed, and executed assembly line creation for the 1U battery tray product line. Alan Hackett firstname.lastname@example.org
* Authored and documented assembly SOP procedures for the battery tray product, and trained technicians on procedures, resulting in over 100 trays produced.
* Collaborated internally with cross-functional teams and externally with vendors, contributing to system-level design for the battery product.
* Sourced components, collaborated with vendors, and ordered/managed inventory for production, leading to the shipment of over 50 systems.
* Participated in DFMEA sessions for components and performed quality-control for incoming parts.
* Developed assembly fixturing for PCB's and enclosures for PCB and cabling components.
* Experience building component and assembly prototypes in a shop environment.
Santa Clara, CA
Senior Experiential Designer
2018 - 2019 (1 year)
* Developed and delivered large tradeshow exhibit designs for enterprise level clients such as Microsoft, VMWare, Medtronic and Automation Anywhere.
* Designed Microsoft's large, flagship booth for the Hannover Messe industrial tech show in Germany, including a new design language for Microsoft's furniture, fixtures, wayfinding and overall booth structure.
Product Design Engineer - Electric Motorcycles
Mountain View, CA
2018 - 2018
* Designed and developed new components and assemblies for electric motorcycles, incorporating design requirements and specifications for the end user such as ergonomics, usability, mounting, safety features, and DFA/DFMA.
* Developed battery packs and enclosures, chassis frames, and subassemblies utilizing steel and aluminum materials and employed manufacturing processes such as machining, tube bending, welding, sheet metal fabrication, injection molding, and press-fit operations.
* Created electronic enclosures, integrating touch screens, PCB's, flex cables, wire harnesses, and wireless communication inside, packing electronics into size-restricted volumes and employing rapid prototyping and sheet metal fabrication for final solution.
* Produced mockups and prototypes utilizing rapid prototyping with SLA, SLS, and FDM, and built, tested, and troubleshot prototypes.
* Generated 2D part drawings and collaborated with vendors, directing design details through prototype stages.
Senior Industrial Design Engineer
2012 - 2017 (5 years)
Designed and developed commercial furniture and merchandising systems for enterprise to boutique clients, including display systems, architectural paneling, shelving, and accessories. Completed production- level projects for clients including Google, Microsoft, Sony, Disney, Bank of America, and REI.
* Developed and engineered SYSTEM 1224, a top-selling, contemporary, modular, merchandising system with components including, shelving, hang-bars, and cubes which provide countless options for customization - Currently installed in Google's Merchandise Store, Design Within Reach, & Microsoft. System 1224 sold .5 Million in the first year.
* Designed and engineered LED lighting systems and components. * Communicated new designs through hand sketches, 3D CAD renderings, drawings, mockups and prototypes, utilizing form, fit, and functional requirements for new concepts. Collaborated closely with product development teams, stakeholders, and manufacturing partners to complete projects on target and on-time.