Head of Global Industrial Design
Jun 2016 - Present (5 years 6 months)
Manufacturer of batteries, personal lighting, and automotive consumables.
• Introduced and engaged design/experience thinking methodologies, accelerating product innova-tion 25%.
• 4 breakthrough and 27 sustaining product designs in the first three fiscal years of the product de-sign group. On strategy and on time.
• Established a renewed focus on product design language to create a relevant and penetrating re-tail presence and reach 7% annual growth targets.
• Identified and managed design risks, expectations, project objectives, and deliverables for 18-24 new design initiatives annully.
• Innovative new products to retail with 24% shorter development times, and over $1.8 million in development savings.
Design Director and Industrial Design manager
Dec 2012 - Jun 2016 (3 years 6 months)
Manufacturer of automotive cleaning and scenting consumables.
• Accelerated the development process 27% by creating an open, trusting, and collaborative design environment with best practice design methodologies, and increasing fluidity/fluency of creative output 34%.
• Provided individual direction and mentorship to a multifunctional interdisciplinary team of 6 de-signers, driving process and team engagement in a fast-paced environment.
• Brought to market more than 30 successful new diversified products annually.
• Drove design passion and quality in graphic, packaging and industrial design fostering an environ-ment that allowed room for creative failure, creating 2 times the innovative output.
Principal Industrial Designer
Salt Lake City, UT
Sep 2003 - Jul 2012 (8 years 10 months)
Manufacturer of audio/video conferencing hardware/software.
• Led sales increase of 16% through 17 commercialized innovative personal/group audio device so-lutions, each with challenging acoustic criteria.
• 20% faster to market with market accurate products by catalyzing collaboration with Marketing, Electrical, Mechanical, and Software Engineering groups.
• Led risk management assessment through competitive product/market review, redirecting a $1.2M investment away from a failing and flooded category.
• Built 3 new strategic alliances with Cisco, Sony, and NEC, by generating focus on product aesthet-ics, and end user experience.
Apr 1996 - Aug 2003 (7 years 4 months)
Additional experience as Lead Industrial designer ZeroHaliburton (luggage and cases); Adjunct Professor University of Utah, ID studio (medical products); Senior Industrial Designer/Director of Illustration, Companion Systems (P.O.P.); Junior Industrial Designer, Big Toolbox Design Consultancy (wearables); and Design Consultant for American Laser, Aaron Group, Spectrum DNA; medical, soft goods, and consumer electronic products respectively.