Adjunct Professor — Design
Jan 2015 - Present (6 years 8 months)
Teach marketing and personal branding to photography and design majors enrolled in the Multimedia Photography & Design programs at the S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications. The course covers the basics of freelance (contracts, licensing, entities, copyright, etc.), the basics of marketing (portfolio, websites, promotional materials, social media) and "everyday" topics such as personal finance and relationships.
I designed this course, "Design Your Image" (f.k.a. Craft Your Image) in 2012 recognizing a growing need to help photography students be aware and understand what they face as they seek work as contractors and small businesses.
Independent Art Director and Designer
May 2005 - Aug 2018 (13 years 3 months)
I partner with individual photographers and small businesses to create design print and digital design solutions. Clients include National Geographic Magazine contract photographers, Against All Odds Productions, National Geographic Traveler magazine, COR Cellars winery and more.
The National Press Photographer's Association and American Society for Media Photographers have invited me to speak at their workshops and annual conferences. I am also writing a book, "Web Design Principles for Photographers" to be published by Focal Press.
Assistant Professor — Design
Jan 2012 - May 2014 (2 years 4 months)
Taught the following courses: Introduction to Graphic Design, Typography, Web Design, Motion Graphics, Marketing and Branding for Creatives (Craft Your Image)
Jun 2005 - Aug 2006 (1 year 2 months)
Art direction, design, and photo editing for bimonthly luxury travel magazine
• Redesigned magazine to re-align overall tone and aesthetic with business initiatives.
• Streamlined workflow and production (templates, style guides, deadlines).
• Managed/assigned remote freelance designers, photographers, and illustrators.
• Coordinated/produced on-location photography shoots (photographer, stylist, and talent).
• Executed stock photography and art research.
• Managed photo and design budgets.
• Consulted on marketing collateral, advertorials and web site design.
• Attended press checks, proofed color, and approved match prints.
Associate Art Director
May 2001 - Nov 2004 (3 years 6 months)
Art direction and design for bimonthly national travel magazine
• Demonstrated excellence in design of features, gate folds, and custom publications.
• Improved workflow and content collaboration for the front-of-book department, “Smart Traveler”.
• Coordinated and art directed in-house photography shoots.
• Collaborated with National Geographic Society cartographic team on development of maps.
• Proofed color and reviewed match prints.
Aug 2000 - May 2001 (9 months)
Art direction and design of weekly broadsheet newspaper feature section fronts
• Assisted in establishing typographic hierarchy for 50-inch web redesign.
• Implemented look and feel of redesign to assigned sections.
Copley Northern Illinois Sun Publications
Feb 1999 - May 2000 (1 year 3 months)
Designer and manager for weekly tabloid community newspapers
• Supervised team of 3 designers and a group of 5 tabloid newspapers.
• Redefined lead designer’s role and responsibilities.
• Implemented organization and design continuity for newspaper groups.
Sep 1998 - Feb 1999 (5 months)
Art director and designer for national Canadian daily broadsheet newspaper
• Art direction and design of Arts and Fashion feature sections.