Principal Industrial Designer
Sep 2018 - Present (3 years 1 month)
- Lead designer for fit attachment to improve the critical requirements for comfort and fit of the device.
- Prototyping guru. Created high fidelity urethane and foam prototypes for user research.
- Lead concept generation for next-gen and accessories with fellow team members, designers, engineers, and marketing team by facilitating brainstorming sessions and build excitement through sketches and renderings to convey ideas.
- Foster, dialogue with the software and User Experience team to develop streamlined interaction between the physical object and digital products.
- 3D surfacer to finalize cad files for production.
• Clean up mechanical surfacing for tooling such mismatch surface on the hook and chassis, inconsistency on the parting line and non-tangency surface on the cover.
• Resurface fit attachment rubber piece to improve fit and comfort.
• Created a process with Mechanical Engineer team to help manage and streamline workflow.
- Work directly with vendors in Asia, and in the US to define the specs and CMF requirements.
Senior Industrial Designer
Nov 2014 - Sep 2018 (3 years 10 months)
- Helped drive our growth into new product categories by supporting business unit managers with user research.
- I was part of the agile technology team that develops blue-sky ideas and turn them into real products. Developed the first fluke non-contact voltage meter. A meter that eliminates the danger of using test leads to make contact with exposed live wires to get electrical measurements.
- Led user end research to strategize, optimize and assess throughout the phases of product development.
- Experienced working with offsite product development teams in China, Europe and in the US.
- Worked in streamlined product development processes to meet deadlines such as Obeya room to coordinate schedules between different team member task dependencies. Also, facilitated Kaizen events to address manufacturing requirements and assembly methods to design a product for manufacturing.
- Managed the implementation of the brand language across the product portfolio. Not only the look and feel of the product but also the physical user interface.
- Worked remotely and traveled to manufacturing partners in Asia, Europe, and local vendors to define, specify and confirm CMF requirements.
- Mentored staff-level Industrial Designers on their projects.
Senior Industrial Designer (Contract)
May 2014 - Nov 2014 (6 months)
- Led design direction of the next defibrillator and AED medical devices.
- Collaborated with Human form factors and Mechanical team to iterate on different design direction.
• To meet the ergonomic requirements, and address manufacturing constraints.
- Created high fidelity prototypes for a clinical test.
• Built a reusable AED (automated external defibrillator) prototype.
Senior Industrial Designer
2012 - 2014 (2 years)
- I helped develop the brand language for PowerA and MOGA.
- Advocated the brand language to the team and to foster collaboration between marketing, product planners, project managers, and executive.
- Helped the team with user end research to gather qualitative and quantitative data to define the design direction.
• Quantitative research such as working with the product development team to create online surveys to get information for feature attributes and ranking them from most important to least.
• Qualitative research such as one on one user interview on what current device they currently use to get a good understanding of how they use the product.
- Worked directly manufacturing partners in Asia and local vendors to define, specify and confirm CMF requirements.
- Created production drawings for vendors and final 3D cad surfacing to Mechanical team in China.
Industrial Designer Level 2
2004 - 2012 (8 years)
- Selected to be the main Industrial Designer to business growth team called the Outsourced Product Development.
• Led the development as the industrial designer for the new emerging market categories such as vibration analyzer, thermal imager, and power quality analyzer.
- Key contributor for user end research to strategize, optimize, and assess throughout the phases of product development.
• Participated in on-site visits. Facilitated the discussion with users to gather unbiased information with the help of senior designers and product planners.
- Supported senior designers executing 3D models, prototyping, and documentation.
- Created production drawings for vendors and final 3D cad surfacing to Mechanical team.
- Worked remotely and traveled to manufacturing partners in Asia, Europe, and local vendors to define, specify, and confirm CMF requirements.