Product Development Manager
May 2014 - Present (7 years 4 months)
- Manage and lead Product Development at Novadaq
- Mentor and manage Lead Product Engineers
- Lead Product Definition activities; Usability engineering; System architecture development and product design planning
- Champion the vision of the products
- Provide system engineering support to product engineers in new and on-going product development
- Lead the development of, and maintain, product road-maps and design requirements
- Ensure that proposed product features and functionality meets the needs of users/ customers
- Introduction of Design Management processes
- Provide reporting, planning and budgeting for senior management
- Mentor and assist the product development team
- Identify technical engineering resource shortages in collaboration with the project managers and assist in resource allocation and hiring
Principal Designer/ Snr. Project Manager
May 2006 - Apr 2014 (7 years 11 months)
Lead the front-end design and development activities on diverse Class I and II hardware and software medical device projects. Develop creative, award-winning, technical design solutions that satisfy user needs. Oversee the product development process through engineering development to ensure design intent is maintained. Create SOPs to ensure that HE75, IEC 62366 and IEC 62304 practices are followed consistently. Lead projects with an eye to achieving regulatory certification. Manage teams of <8 people.
- Design and development of Class I & II medical devices through to ISO 13485 manufacturing transfer (ophthalmic devices; drug delivery systems; vascular-access devices and infusion systems; surgical tools; IVD consumables; diagnostics instrumentation; ultrasound imaging devices; cart systems; orthopedic devices; lab automation)
- Deep understanding of end-use environments (emergency medicine, cardiac cath-lab, cardiac surgical and GI surgery, diagnostic laboratories)
- Hand-ons experience managing medical device projects through IEC 60601 edition 3 submission and certification
- Excellent client-facing and end-user interaction and communication skills
- Excellent written and oral communication ability
- Proposal writing, program management in a consultancy environment
- Extensive visualisation and prototyping skills
- Deep knowledge of low tech and high tech RP, tooling and manufacturing processes
JDi Design Inc
Dec 2003 - Mar 2006 (2 years 3 months)
JDi Design is an industrial design consultancy of 2-3 people which undertakes product development activities for product and software SMEs.
Role: Grow project revenues by leveraging industry experience to win new product development work. Lead design projects. Build out company SOPs and processes. Grow the team.
Jan 2003 - Oct 2003 (9 months)
Samsung Corporate Design Centre (Seoul, Korea) is where the front-end design teams for all the Samsung Electronics business divisions are based, including white-goods, computers, mobile, semi-conductors and printers.
Part of the Create New Business (CNB) team with responsibility for developing new product opportunities and the impact of convergence across divisions. Focus on evolving consumer habits and business practices the next 10 to 20 years.
PDD Group Ltd
Aug 2000 - Sep 2002 (2 years 1 month)
PDD is a leading UK design and innovation consultancy of 50+ people, which uses human-centered design to help technology and medical companies develop cutting-edge products.
Lead the development of product design identity and industrial design for blue-chip corporate customers and product companies.
DCA Design International
Jan 1996 - Aug 2000 (4 years 7 months)
DCA is Europe’s leading independent product design and development consultancy.
Promoted from Junior Designer to Associate in <3 years. Industrial designer and project manager on industrial, medical and vehicular transportation projects