Director of Product Development and Design
Jul 2014 - Present (7 years 2 months)
• Evaluate and recommend changes to the current internal Product Development process at
MH&F with an
operational focus. Coordinate efforts with strategic sourcing to strategically plan for retail
design, quality, packaging, component coordination, marketing, manufacturing, and ultimate
delivery to the
• Oversee, evaluate and make recommendations for new retail products and product lines in
with the Marketing, Design, Strategic Sourcing and Procurement teams.
• Ongoing evaluation of current retail product lines to recommend opportunities for new
packaging and repackaging
and/ or bundling, and planning for products that are nearing the end of their life cycle.
• Research and recommend new retail product ideas within specific categories of focus.
• Work, in conjunction with the Education department to ensure viability and safety of new
including thorough testing before launch.
• Identify the design character of MH&F products through design, colors, themes, and packaging
collaboration with the Marketing and Design teams.
• Approve new packaging themes and designs and merchandising concepts (displays, etc.) with
and Design teams.
• Oversee an annual product launch schedule tied to specific sales targets
• Coordinate with Strategic Sourcing and internal Manufacturing Departments to ensure design is
and quality standard requirements are met.
• Coordinate with Strategic Sourcing team and Suppliers to ensure packaging and design exceeds
expectations and meets all MH&F’s standards.
• In conjunction with Marketing & Communications, recommend and approve logo placement
on all new products including printing methods (embossing, silk screening, etc.)
• In conjunction with Marketing, Design, Sales and Strategic Sourcing departments, approve
final production samples.
• Design involvement on the commercial product lines.
Jason Nip Product Design
Mar 2009 - Present (12 years 6 months)
Designing from Cradle to Cradle.
Product development, Ideation, CAD & Prototyping.
Providing smart and innovative design solutions for clients in a freelance and contract capacity.
Joseph Mimran & Associates
Sep 2010 - Oct 2012 (2 years 1 month)
- Work 1-2 years in advance to develop design intent and direction for seasonal assortments
- Research vendors and source new products for seasonal and in-line assortments
- Analyze market trends, sales results and current retail assortment in Loblaws Superstores, Great Foods and other Loblaws-branded grocery stores
- Travel to China to review samples and request items for quotation
- Design new products
- Work with graphics team to develop directives for colors and pattern
- Present chosen assortment to category managers
- Set up new vendors with SOP, VBA's and packaging standards
- Negotiate improved pricing of new and existing products
- List new items with SAP listing package
- Ensure 3rd party testing of product passes Canadian regulations and safety standards
- Develop packaging, manuals and marketing materials with graphics design team, copy writers and translators
- Review and approve third-party testing results and print proofs to ensure products meet quality standards
- Work with the visual merchandising team to set store layouts
- Liaise with vendors to ensure required ship dates are met and product reaches stores in time
Jan 2010 - Feb 2011 (1 year 1 month)
Contributing writer to a technology site.
Freelance Industrial Designer
May 2010 - Sep 2010 (4 months)
Provided creative concepts, renderings and technical drawings for retail visual displays in home electronics environments.
Aug 2008 - Mar 2009 (7 months)
Retail Display planning/ design / engineering
May 2002 - Apr 2008 (5 years 11 months)
Jason worked at Umbra inventing new products for every room in of the home. In 2004-2005 he moved to Shenzhen China and Hong Kong to work with Umbra's manufacturers to improve design, qualify production product for timely realease, correct QC issues, and to help improve production efficiencies in their overseas factories.
Factotum Plastics Technologies
Jun 2000 - Sep 2001 (1 year 3 months)
Model maker and rapid prototyper working with CNC machine, lost wax molds, building styrene models, silicone molds and injection molded parts
1996 - 2000 (4 years)
Custom Boot Fitter and Sales
Oct 1997 - Apr 1999 (1 year 6 months)
Custom boot fitter specializing in custom footbeds and bio mechanical alignment.
Custom Boot Fitter and Sales
Skiis & Biikes
1995 - 1997 (2 years)