Lead Designer / Director
May 2008 - Present (13 years 2 months)
Independent industrial design consultant partnering with clients to build world class user-centered design solutions. As lead designer I participate and guide all creative work. Over the years our team has designed a diverse range of products from simple one piece molded designs to complex electro-mechanical assemblies. As director I oversee all business aspects including writing design proposals, scheduling resources, monitoring budgets, and giving presentations to the client.
• Industrial design and interface development for sales shattering TouchMix digital mixer
• Industrial design for family of ultrasound transducers for Sonosite’s revolutionary iViz
• Raised $190k for PadPivot on Kickstarter, sold IP to Best Buy’s Rocketfish brand.
• Thomas Edison Award for Innovation - Molar Mount dental device for Molar Media
Creative Director / President
Mill Creek, WA
Oct 2011 - 2016 (4 years 9 months)
Owner and founder of mobile accessories brand. I manage all design work from product development to marketing. This includes ongoing brand development, product design for new products, art direction for advertising and social media, mentoring designers, and managing development costs and schedules for all creative activities. As president I oversee operations including sales, fulfillment, sourcing, accounting, and IT.
• Products selected by top tier design retailers like NY MOMA, A+R, and Fab.com
• Featured in major media like Today Show, Parade Magazine, and more
• Generated over $1 million in sales for CableKeep products alone
Senior Designer / Design Manager
Jan 2007 - Jun 2008 (1 year 5 months)
Consumer products & entertainment furniture design for retailers such as Target, Walmart, and Costco. Managed ID department guiding work from inception to production, balancing time-lines, building presentations for buyers, interfacing with China engineering, and mentoring junior staff.
• Directed product development for - Xbox & Wii licensed products - 4 SKUs landed
• Designed industry first cable management solution - garnering 6 patents
Senior Industrial Designer
2005 - 2007 (2 years)
Advanced ergonomic & anthropometric research, design, and mock-up for a military control system and seating. Managed several design builds for major interior mock-ups including the stairs for the 747-8. Provided part drawings, budgeting, vendor coordination, and resource allocation of craftsman and designers. Participated in conceptual design work for commercial aircraft interiors.
• ID and mechanical design for advanced haptic control system for the tanker re-fueler
• Coordinated build on 747-8 stairway mock-up, which helped land Lufthansa contract
Director of Industrial Design
2005 - 2005
Directed daily operations of the ID department including interfacing with clients and engineering, preparing presentations, coordinating prototype parts, building software interfaces, and working on in-house product development.
• Industrial Design for highly successful Presonus’s StudioLive - #1 mixer in category
• Interface and visual design solutions for QSC Audio, Griffin, Presonus, and more.
2000 - 2005 (5 years)
Designed industry leading professional and consumer audio devices working closely with engineering and product managers to reach design goals. Developed ergonomic evaluations, prototypes, color studies, and visual branding boards to meet industrial design goals. Coordinated overseas vendors & manufacturers to meet price & delivery deadlines. Managed contractors and vendors. Mentored and trained junior designers and new hires. Established myself as lead designer in the department.
Accomplishments and Highlights
• Brand evolution for highly successful HR Monitor product family
• Developed visual design language for Hotwire guitar amp and accessories
• Design lead for several $100k high end recording consoles for Mackie & EAW
• Delivered prototype control surface to Apple Computer in 6 weeks, $2k under budget
• Rejuvenated mixer line with Onyx family brand identity - #1 selling mixer for company
• Delivered TAPCO S5 Monitor to production faster than any previous Loud Inc. product
1999 - 2000 (1 year)
Designed award winning branded interiors, fixtures, and exhibits, Presented proposals and interfaced directly with high profile clients such as REI, AT&T, Costco, Sonosite, Carnival Cruise Line, Money Tree, & Physio Control.