Design Director & Owner - Independent Design Consultancy
2008 - Present (12 years 1 month)
Independent design consultant primarily in the recreational vehicle, automotive, motorcycle and historic aviation industries. Directed multiple large-scale design/engineered and manufactured vehicle projects, achieving national recognition in top industry custom vehicle competitions. Primary designer of the national award winning Ford Archetype custom car: Detroit “Ridler” award competition, Great 8 finalist.
• Created original designs through conceptual styling, chassis CAD and geometric layout for optimal performance, including a BOM structure, allowing for a comprehensive and accurate vehicle build for a UTV off-road vehicle, truck-based mobile oil-change vehicle, and a ground-up custom car.
• Researched, reverse engineered, and designed many airframe and engine components for a P-82 twin mustang WW2 aircraft, including complex metal stampings, flight critical structural members, and composite lay-up components. Upon completion, this will be the only flight capable aircraft of its kind.
Product Design Lead
2015 - 2018 (3 years)
Led product design and development for the Khrome Werks aftermarket products division, expanding the existing product line by creating innovative new products for the V-twin motorcycle market.
• Conducted market research, competitive benchmarking and current trend analysis, creating a new product roadmap for growing the Khrome Werks brand. Introduced multiple industry firsts in both coatings technology and end-product innovations.
• Supported the re-branding of Khrome Werks by guiding product innovation and styling, and customer touchpoints via marketing graphics, product displays, and the ecommerce online presence. Achieved increased brand awareness resulting in a 50%+ first year annual sales revenue increase.
Product Design Manager
Big Lake, MN
2003 - 2008 (5 years)
Oversaw creative and technical design leadership of the engineering team, relating to the design and development of a new line of high-performance upscale motorcycles. Key team member in determining future product direction via marketing, engineering and design leaders, resulting in the first US-based manufacturer of a fully rider-refined custom-styled assembly line motorcycle.
• Determined market trends and created product design specifications based on market analysis techniques such as focus groups, SWOT analysis, field research, and target segment questionnaires. This research was instrumental in guiding product direction and ultimate success in the marketplace, demonstrated by a first year’s production sell-out via pre-orders.
• CAD engineered the full motorcycle chassis including: rider human factors and ergonomics, frame and body components, suspension, braking, and drive train systems.
• Forecasted, and managed design department budgets and expenditures, keeping to company targets for Stage/Gate process deliverables.
Industrial Designer-Project Coordinator
1998 - 2001 (3 years)
Directed new motorcycle component industrial design, and guided engineers and CAD technicians to help maintain design intent from conceptual stage to production.
• Assured all design and engineering was conducted on schedule via DFM practices, using Stage/Gate methodology. The newly designed Victory Vegas motorcycle platform was successfully launched to market.
• Conducted field research of current market trends in the cruiser motorcycle segment, providing valuable insight for brand strategy and awareness. Introduced Victory touring models, resulting in a 50%+ increase in model-line sales.
Industrial Design Lead-Snowmobile, ATV
1994 - 1998 (4 years)
Primary industrial designer of the EDGE snowmobile line with an 80K+ annual production volume. The design won numerous industry accolades, and was the foundation for Polaris snowmobiles for 7+ years. Conceptual Designer of the first Ranger UTV, and assisted the development process through running prototypes, bringing the first Hi-Performance UTV to the world market, beginning a multi-million-dollar industry.
• Helped initiate a strategic design culture within Polaris, and guided the ID development process along side key engineering and marketing leaders. This culture has remained instrumental in transforming Polaris to an innovative, customer focused brand.
• Managed a snowmobile cost reduction program, implementing many performance and cost enhanced designs. Helped reduce annual snowmobile production costs by $1.5mm+.