Barrows Asia Pacific
Aug 2012 - Present (8 years 9 months)
- Design and deliver brand-sensitive, engaging and meaningful retail experiences for Fortune 500 companies, their brands and shoppers with simple, innovative and user-centred design solutions. Clients include: Unilever, Kimberly-Clark, Kraft Foods and Mondelēz International.
- Collaborate closely with various Barrows's multi-disciplined departments such as insights, planning, sales, design and engineering to deliver beautiful, practical, manufacturable and commercially viable displays. Tasks included design concept ideation, sketching and development, 2D & 3D CAD modelling and presentation renderings, and prototype validation.
Freelance Industrial Designer
Joseph Louis Tan Studio
Feb 2012 - Present (9 years 3 months)
- Founded Joseph Louis Tan Studio, an independent multi-disciplinary design studio that translates creative ideas into meaningful solutions through user-centred design-led innovation. Specialises in industrial & product design, visual communication and furniture design.
- Designed and managed both clients’ and self-initiated projects that include strategic design consultation, user-centred design research, concept ideation and development, 2D & 3D CAD modelling and rendering, and prototyping, as well as marketing, PR and accounts.
- Worked with clients from various organisations ranging from start-ups, NGOs, to MNCs such as Schwan-Stabilo, Zone Telecom, Interlab Products.
Built Environment Student Ambassador
University of New South Wales
Jan 2011 - Jan 2012 (1 year)
• Inspired and informed over 100 prospective students to enrol in the Bachelor of Industrial Design at the University of New South Wales, through career fairs and informational events.
• Featured in the Faculty’s program guidebook, websites and promotional banners.
Designer (Pro Bono)
UNSW Singapore Students' Association
Oct 2010 - Sep 2011 (11 months)
• Designed the Association’s new corporate identity that included logo design, membership cards, apparels and event posters, which were visible and distributed to over 500 of the Association’s members via various social media platforms, website and newsletters.
• Direct report to the President.
Jan 2011 - Apr 2011 (3 months)
• Designed a packaging bottle for an Australian performance nutrients company that is brand-sensitive to the company and its customers. Worked closely with Cormack’s new product development and marketing departments. Tasks included consumer research, concept generation and development, and presentation to brand, marketing and sales managers.
• Developed and prototyped my winning packaging design from the Cormack Innovation Awards 2010 with the new product development team of engineers. Pitched my refined winning design to Cormack’s branding, marketing, sales, product managers and engineers.
Sep 2009 - Feb 2010 (5 months)
• Researched and designed for numerous challenging multi-disciplinary projects that encompass industrial/ product design, interior & space design, and graphic design. Clients included Nanyang Polytechnic, Land Transport Authority, and Singapore Sports School.
• Designed an illustration for the School of Design that was featured at the Nanyang Polytechnic Open House 2010 School of Design booth.
• Trained and mentored over 50 industrial design students as an Assistant Lecturer in courses such as 2D sketching & rendering, 3D CAD modelling with Rhinoceros 4, and industrial design studio projects.
Graduate Teaching Assistant
Institute of Techncal Education
Mar 2007 - Jun 2007 (3 months)
• Mentored over 20 final year product design students on their final year projects that consist of product design, lighting design, furniture design, eyewear design and space design.
• Designed and conducted a market trend analysis lecture to over 20 students that researched new sub-culture niche markets and its applications onto product design.
a N d studio
Sep 2006 - Nov 2006 (2 months)
• Designed a trade show exhibition stand for a Chinese software company that was exhibited at Sitex 2006 Singapore, visible to over 632,000 visitors.
• Designed the studio’s corporate gift for the year 2007 that was distributed to the studio’s valued clients.
• Designed projects that include industrial design, lifestyle product design, graphic design and packaging design for clients such as ST Electronics, ASIS Technologies and RISING.
• Direct report to the Managing Director.