Confidential Online Bridesmaids, Bridal Retailer
May 2018 - Nov 2018 (6 months)
* Concepted, designed and developing first ever bridal gown collection for forthcoming online launch.
* Presented overview of existing market, including key players, trends.
* Conducted overview presentation of company's existing customers through analysis of their bridesmaids customers.
* Proposed direction for bridal launch according to understanding of current online customer.
* Worked directly with owner via regular video call meetings and online document presentations, reviewing market research, fabrics, colors, sketches and development progress/status.
* Ongoing regular communication with China sampling coordinators, including comments/feedback/direction on fabric and lace/embroidery sourcing, muslin and sample development.
New York, NY
Jun 2009 - Dec 2016 (7 years 6 months)
Head Designer: Alvina Valenta, Ti Adora
*Concepted, designed and developed the Alvina Valenta and Ti Adora bridal collections, from concept and initial sketch and through 1st production duplicate approval.
*Designed for the Hayley Paige Occasions bridesmaids collection.
*Conducted ongoing market and trend analysis.
*Created conceptual mood boards, with key themes, design details, fabrics and colors.
*Designed and merchandised each collection within budget for targeted price points and looks along the budget and brand positioning spectrum.
*Generated detailed tech packs for overseas bridal and bridesmaids sample development, with ongoing communication.
*Liaised with sales and fit teams for ongoing overseas bridesmaids fittings, fit comments and production approvals.
*Designed and developed original beading and embroidery swatches and pattern layouts for Alvina Valenta’s India-based embroidery creation.
*Managed in-house team of patternmaker and sample makers, monitoring development and production duplicate schedules of the Alvina Valenta collection, and adjusting Ti Adora samples from overseas as needed.
*Conducted showroom model castings and managed model fittings.
*Presented ongoing preview meetings to internal sales teams and president.
*Coordinated with sales teams to present seasonal collections to external buyers and editors.
*Liaised with internal and external runway production team in model castings.
*Concepted and creative-directed seasonal collection photoshoots, from initial storytelling mood boards to on-set, individual shots, and collaborated with internal producer and external photography and set teams.
*Attended trunk shows across the nation, representing the brand and working directly with brides and store sales team, offering custom options and further refining future brand needs.
*Created fashion illustrations unique to each brand for defining and expanding each brand ID and promoting each brand.
New York, NY
Jan 2008 - Jun 2009 (1 year 5 months)
* Designed bridal, bridesmaids and prom dresses for various David's Bridal brands, including David's Bridal and Priscilla of Boston's "Vineyard" bridesmaids.
* Interpreted classic and contemporary design details and trends into understandable and affordable looks for the David's Bridal customer, and injected a more modern point of view into the bridal division assortment.
* Shopped Europe markets and attended PV trade show twice yearly to ascertain market color and fabric trends, key design details and overall market direction.
* Shopped various domestic market regions to understand diverse customer backgrounds, needs and wants.
* Collaborated with Design team to prepare and present seasonal initial concept storyboards to company executives and Merchant and Product Development teams, summarizing key trends as applicable to the DB business, and proposed Design team's ideas for each season's direction.
* Partnered with Merchant team to design and present sketches that met the assortment needs.
* Concepted and developed modern and feminine beading and embroidery embellishment designs with China factory.
* Created design packages via Excel to communicate design details to Hong Kong agent, and with daily email communication/follow-up with HK counterparts.
* Worked with in-house patternmakers and drapers for styles developed in NY, communicating design and working with them at muslin stage to execute the design vision.
* Re-worked muslins sent from Hong Kong, re-draping as needed to achieve the original design intent.
* Traveled to Hong Kong quarterly for Bridal division Buy-Meetings, reviewing all styles with Merchant team and partnering with Merchants to understand their needs for future design developments.
* Coordinated with Technical teams on production styles, to align on technical standards and fit while maintaining original design integrity.
Associate Designer: Knits & Sweaters
New York NY, United States
Oct 2004 - Jan 2008 (3 years 3 months)
G.H. Bass & Company Division: Knits & Sweaters
* Collaborated with Women's Apparel Team to achieve Bass 2006 Division of the Year.
* Visited company stores regularly to continually fine-tune customer focus.
* Developed seasonal color palettes for knit tops and sweaters, working together with knit Senior Designer and Woven Design Team to ensure coherent color palette between product classes and on retail store floor.
* Created visually pleasing and informative design storyboards and line presentations, and presented to company president, merchants, and sourcing team at each stage of design process.
* Designed cut-and-sew knits, sweaters and sleepwear styles according to blueprint needs, Design vision and brand strategy.
* Sketches detail technical flat-sketches of cut-and-sew knit and sweater styles in Illustrator.
* Created detailed design packages in Web PDM for communicating designs with overseas teams.
* Worked closely with internal Merchant, Technical Design and Sourcing teams throughout development processes to ensure appropriate and timely execution of product.
* Attended and co-led weekly fittings with Technical Design Team.
* Oversaw marketing trim needs, including concepting and designing marketing groups for specific apparel capsules.
Mar 2001 - Aug 2003 (2 years 5 months)
* Worked both independently and in partnership with designer to translate and execute original concepts into finished, perfected first samples, managing all stages of development in a fast-paced, competitive environment.
* Developed unique concept swatches appropriate for the St. John customer, including application of hardware, trims, stones and sequins, heat-pressed TFA, embroidery, and novelty knit and sweater swatch concepts; designed groups based on these concepts for the St. John Collection, Evening, and Sport lines, with a focus on evening wear.
* Completed around 400 development styles per season via Lectra system, with recognized organization, swiftness, and expertise.
* Communicated effectively and courteously with all involved departments, inspiring a sense of urgency and excellence in fellow employees and vendors.
* Worked directly with in-house factory to ensure accurate and timely execution of design requests, problem solving on a daily basis.
* Actively participated in design and fashion show fittings, adjusting garments on models and overseeing corresponding pattern changes and alterations.