Mar 2010 - Present (11 years 1 month)
Providing product design, creative direction, product brand strategy and creative problem solving for clients in need of new product development direction.
Worked with clients in Chicago and on going collaboration with Kansas City engineering firm in the design and development of medical and dental products as well as other products.
Technical Designer - Home Fashions
Hoffman Estates, IL
2011 - 2013 (2 years)
Balance Product Development
2006 - 2010 (4 years)
Diebold Inc. Account – Worked on site at Diebold account, working within the strategic design and brand integrity group.
Diebold is a global leader in banking automation, integrated self-service and security systems, with an annual revenue of $2.82 billion dollars and a research and development budget of $70 million dollars. Diebold has a presence in 90 countries.
• Provided design direction and supported the development of many new automated banking and self service products including automated teller machines, kiosks, pneumatic drive-up products, teller cash recyclers while also designing fascia components and solutions for card reader, biometric and module devices.
• Actively involved in defining the usability, serviceability, human factors, aesthetic direction, design strategy, and product brand strategy for all products.
• Involved in the ground up development of many new products, resulting in new sales opportunities and millions of dollars in new revenue annually.
• Collaborated with a domestic and international team of marketing, engineering and human factors staff to develop new or improve existing products.
• Built strong internal client relationships, resulting in new projects for the team while also assisting in the development of new design processes and procedures.
• Led design direction for many projects involving the custom solutions group, providing concept development and final design recommendations as well as assisting defining product scope, timeline, design process and communicating to team members.
• Utilized Pro-Engineer, Rhinoceros 4, 3D Studio Max, Adobe Suite and strong sketching skills to produce a constant flow of concepts and renderings.
Norwood Promotional Products
2004 - 2006 (2 years)
Norwood Promotional Products is one of the leading suppliers of imprinted promotional products.
• Led the design of soft good products within the Air-Tex and RCC-Koozie brands while providing product design services and product strategy guidance for multiple brands including the special markets division. Responsibilities included managing timeline, communicating intent to Asian manufacturers and initiating design programs.
• Designed soft good products and other products for the Air-Tex and RCC-Koozie brands within the following categories; totes, travel bags, backpacks, business briefs, business accessories, travel accessories, golf accessories, insulated cooler bags, picnic accessories, and drinkware.
• Collaborated with marketing staff on all projects, conducting research, pursuing new product categories and creating product development reports highlighting recommended product and brand direction while also involved in efforts to rejuvenate aging product lines.
• Involved with team effort to identify tools and develop processes required to start a new product development studio.
• Traveled to manufacturing and decorating facilities to evaluate processes and procedures to improve product. Also attended tradeshows evaluating market trends and competitive products.
Cardinal Brands Inc
St. Louis, MO
2000 - 2004 (4 years)
Cardinal Brands was a multi-branded office and home organizational products manufacturing company with a range of other brands focused on selling back-to-school products, scrapbooking products, gift box products, business bags and accessories, promotional products as well as ATV accessories.
• Worked across all brands establishing a leadership role in product design, product development and project management while working closely with cross-functional teams, marketing, sales and other internal and external entities to define product design, product strategies and brand strategies.
• Became Lead Designer for the Globe-Weis, Cardinal and Generations brands while also supporting other key brands including Hold That Thought, Hazel, Hazel Promotional Products, Props, Steelmaster-Litning and ATV Country.
• Managed all aspects of product development including concept development and final product renderings while performing and managing AutoCAD drawing production for manufacturing. Worked with internal staff and key vendors to determine the design requirements and deliverables.
• Researched market trends and identified product opportunity gaps driving a strong team focused exploration of new ideas leading to very successful products being brought to market. Involved in focus groups and hands on user sessions to discover end user and consumer insights.
• Balanced workload of multiple projects (up to 8 concurrent), with some products being introduced to market in 3 to 6 month cycles.
• Developed multiple products, product families and placements that produced millions of dollars in annual sales.
• Charged with mentoring interns, new designers and draftsmen, training them in processes, product design direction and reviewing their work.
• Attended multiple tradeshows every year, meeting with vendors and evaluating trends in the marketplace. Also traveled to Mexico facility to evaluate processes to improve product designs and procedures.
Industrial Design Intern
St. Louis, MO
1999 - 1999
Collaborated on bottle cooler design and developed door handle concept producing three stereolithography samples. Also produced concept ideations and technical drawings used for shop production of six canopy models.
Industrial Design Intern
Bonner Springs, KS
1998 - 1998