Engineering Manager, Product Design
Mountain View, CA
Mar 2011 - Present (10 years 6 months)
Building teams and products for Google Wearables, Machine Intelligence, Google Glass/GoogleX and Google Life Sciences/Verily.
• Wearables/Machine Intelligence: Build and mentor an 8 engineer PD team focused on developing unique devices that enable Google's AI and smart photography technologies.
• Google Life Sciences/Verily: Built and led ME and ID teams for an FDA-approved wearable diagnostic devices, blood glucose patch and more.
• Google Glass: Built and led 5-person product development team to bring Google Glass from concept to reality.
• Work with cross-functional teams to define product requirements, overall system architecture and detail design.
• Work with suppliers and manufacturers to ensure cutting edge, highly miniaturized designs are
Lead Mechanical Engineer
Apr 2009 - Mar 2011 (1 year 11 months)
Lead Mechanical Engineer with a start-up partnering with Fortune 500 companies to develop unique mobile platforms in ODM/JDM relationships.
• Developed OpenPeak’s mobile products architecture used on two production tablets, as well as, future tablet and mobile platforms. Primarily focused on thin, yet robust design using high quality materials, aggressive time-to-market and cost targets.
• Engineering lead of Cisco Cius tablet as part of OpenPeak’s ongoing ODM/JDM relationship with Cisco Systems. Responsible for full detailed design of all custom tablet parts.
• Worked closely with internal teams and outside vendors to develop all internal components of the tablets. Developed mechanical design for all internal components such as; PCBAs, antennas, LCD and touch sensor, cameras, and battery.
• Liaison to multiple Asian manufacturing partners to support tooling and injection molding, sub- and final-assemblies and quality and regulatory testing efforts during manufacturing ramp-up.
• Responsible for mechanical BOM with emphasis on keeping costs within target, identifying suppliers, procuring quotes and samples.
Principal Mechanical Engineer
Feb 2006 - Apr 2009 (3 years 2 months)
Principal Engineer with a world-renowned design and strategy firm. Delivered innovative solutions to many of frog’s largest clients.
• Focused on product development; from brainstorming and evaluating product concepts through troubleshooting and engineering support on the factory floor.
• Large scale project and team management; scheduling, project scoping, assigning resources to projects, tracking progress and budget, client interfacing and presentations. Effective at managing several large projects in different stages at once.
• Led team of 5 engineers, performing design reviews, mentoring and coaching junior and senior level engineers, staffing.
• Worked with Asian contract manufacturers from early design stages through manufacturing ramp-up. Liaison between Industrial Designers, clients, and CMs to solve manufacturing issues without compromising ID intent, budget or schedule.
• Projects included consumer electronics, set top boxes, webcams, slot machine, conference telephones, networking hardware, medical devices, household appliances, and packaging.
Senior Mechanical Engineer
Hiemstra Product Development
Sep 2003 - Feb 2006 (2 years 5 months)
Senior Mechanical Engineer for product development and design consultancy serving the medical device industry.
• Design of medical devices for clients ranging from start-up to Fortune 500 companies.
• Projects included minimally invasive device for female incontinence; femoral artery closure device and automated delivery handle; and vessel access and catheter introducer system.
• Performed basic laboratory research with animal tissue to prove design concepts. Iterated design based on lab results to improve performance and prove commercial feasibility. Demonstrated successful design in live animal study.
• Equipped Hiemstra’s animal tissue laboratory for testing devices and delivery systems.
• Initiated common environment for all SolidWorks users, created SolidWorks templates and administered CAD environment.
Trajectory Design Group
Jan 2002 - Sep 2003 (1 year 8 months)
Mechanical Engineering Consultant for industrial design firms serving medical and consumer product clients.
• Cervical cancer screener: collaborated with the end client to turn a Phase 1 medical device into a viable commercial product. Designed and managed a large assembly database (700 parts) of a mobile cart. Solution included urethane molded body panels, sheet metal chassis, metal castings, EMI shielding, and mechanism design.
• Handheld endoscopic medical tool: designed a disposable medical device used for saphenous vein harvesting during open-heart surgery. Handheld device performed five different tasks, all using a single thumb actuator.
• Portable ECG: reengineered housing for a self-contained, portable ECG unit with LCD screen and built-in printer. Resolved manufacturing and engineering issues with ECG assembly as well as with the companion rolling cart.
• Surface modeling: worked closely with industrial design teams to create continuous-curvature surface models with an emphasis on ergonomics and form in Pro/ENGINEER and SolidWorks. These 3D models are used for appearance models by industrial design and as starter assemblies for the engineering effort. Products include: flip cell phones for the Asian market, ergonomic pregnancy tester, high-end home-theater speaker system, family of instant cameras, and electronic safety products for infants and children.
Senior Mechanical Engineer
Aug 2000 - Dec 2001 (1 year 4 months)
Senior Mechanical Engineer for renowned multi-disciplinary design consultancy.
• Design and development of products through all phases from conceptualization to prototype to manufacture. Cultivated strong relationships between team members from both Fitch and our clients throughout the development cycle.
• Design emphasis on mechanisms, motors, cams, linear actuators, and electronics.
• Product focus included professional tools, medical products, commercial products, and consumer disposables. Utilized many manufacturing techniques including injection molding, die-casting, machining, and blow molding.
• Pro/ENGINEER system administration. Rolled out new releases, educated users on new and existing functionalities, and maintained interoperability between Pro/ENGINEER, Alias and other CAD systems.
• Initiated a program of shop improvement to ensure high-level of usability by both industrial designers and engineers. Assumed responsibility for annual shop budget and procured new equipment.
• Managed and evaluated co-op students.
Senior Mechanical Engineer
Insight Product Development
Feb 1999 - Jul 2000 (1 year 5 months)
Senior Mechanical Engineer for a mid-sized, Chicago based product development firm.
• Developed a wide range of products including consumer products, commercial products, medical devices, and computers.
• Participated in a diverse client service team consisting of industrial designers, researchers, clients, engineers, vendors, toolmakers, and prototype shops. Maintained close interaction throughout all phases of a project from kickoff and brainstorm to CAD database handoff and first articles.
• Project and client management responsibilities included proposal writing, brainstorming, progress updates, and final project handoff and support.
• Served as IT support for the Concord office’s computer systems. Duties included Windows NT system administration, network administration, budget planning, and approval.
Honeywell Consumer Products
Feb 1998 - Feb 1999 (1 year)
Design Engineer for home comfort products corporation.
• Designed two new, high-volume consumer products while maintaining low per-unit cost and incorporating new technologies and new design innovations.
• Managed all stages of consumer product development. Evaluated external industrial design service, designed plastic parts, oversaw tooling development, sourced of purchased parts and components. Responsible for UL/CSA and European agency approval, and oversight of final packaging development and testing.
• Incorporated cost saving measures into new designs, including elimination of fasteners, simplified assembly, and use of common parts throughout entire line of heaters to reduce cost.
Manufacturing Engineering Consultant
Sikorsky Aircraft (United Technologies)
Feb 1996 - Feb 1998 (2 years)
QA Group Leader
Parametric Technology Corporation
May 1993 - Feb 1996 (2 years 9 months)