Oct 2016 - Present (5 years)
Graphic Designer/Art Director
May 2015 - Present (6 years 5 months)
Freelance graphic designer/art director while seeking permanent or contract full-time employment.
Sep 2009 - May 2015 (5 years 8 months)
Creative and marketing support for internal clients: Employee Assistance Program, Work/Life, Environmental Health, Clinical, as well as external clients (HHS, OPM, NOAA, NPS, PSC, VA, CHPS, a total of 90+ external agencies), creating artwork for integrated touch points including web pages, web graphics, brochures, fact sheets, posters, flyers, event support, direct mail, HTML email, etc. Worked directly with division directors and senior leadership, as well as on-site/off-site writers, photographers, printers.
- Implemented project management and tracking processes using Microsoft SharePoint and MS Excel
- Increased creative services workload from less than 300 projects in 2010 to over 3,500 in 2015
- Created and managed brand/graphics standards for all corporate communications
- Initiated “pay for services”, moving department from overhead to billable, billing over $500,000 in 2014
- Established a “one-stop shop” for integrated monthly campaigns, creating a unique monthly web portal for all marketing tools and campaign materials, with a single message and measurable call to action
- Coached and mentored team of four, including two copy writers, a graphic designer, and a UX designer
- Three-time Above and Beyond award recipient; six-time Outstanding Teamwork award recipient
Senior Graphic Designer
Jul 2008 - Apr 2009 (9 months)
Contract designer for Department of Development, focusing on fund raising through integrated marketing campaigns.
Projects included buck-slip direct mail inserts, direct mail postcards, benefactor proposals and reports, brochures,
workbooks, magazine ads, web banners, web pages, as well as internal facing marketing/educational support material
for Development Officers.
– Increased web traffic by 22% first quarter 2009 through an integrated campaign, which included writing the theme/direction “live on” and tag line “your legacy has just begun”
– Cut printing cost of an annual report by over $40,000 from previous year by utilizing print buying experience, print-wise layout/design, and paper specification/selection
Senior Graphic Designer
Apr 2005 - Jul 2006 (1 year 3 months)
Recruited and relocated from Georgia to Illinois by State Farm, a Fortune 500 Company (ranked #18 in 2005).
Part of a creative services staff of 160+ people, focusing on print design for internal and external facing projects and
promotions, including direct mail inserts, direct mail postcards, brochures (both agent-facing and customer-facing),
posters, event signage, bang-tails, and location displays/signage. Also copy writing, mainly headlines/themes/direction,
as well as light body copy.
Oct 2000 - Apr 2005 (4 years 6 months)
Recruited and relocated from California to Georgia by Char-Broil, a $500+ million annual sales outdoor cooking appliances and outdoor home leisure products company. Started as Associate Art Director, promoted to Art Director; Creative Services supervisor and mentor of 6 team members. Creative support for consumer products, including sales sheets, package design, POP, logo design, in-store signage, product graphics, as well as marketing/educational support material for sales team.
– Managed photography, artwork, and image databases for over 500 SKU’s, including gas grills, smokers, outdoor fireplaces, and parts/accessories (grill tools, covers, cleaners, etc.)
– Accountable for Creative Services $300,000/year budget (excluding payroll); familiar with forecasting, budgeting, and the responsibility of meeting financial expectations
– Proven ability to oversee and prioritize work-in-progress schedule (1,200+ projects/year), consistently meeting deadlines by emphasizing ownership of projects, responsibility/accountability of team members, and building partnerships with clients, internal departments, and vendors
– Partnered with retailers including Home Depot, Lowe’s, Wal-Mart, Target, Kmart, and Sears, often as Category Captain, to come up with solutions for in-store POP/signage/packaging/photography requirements, setting the standard/template for other category manufacturers to follow
– Experienced in working with overseas/international vendors (including China), preparing artwork to be printed/screened outside of USA
– Managed, coordinated, and directed outside workflow/quotes, including ad agencies, photographers, freelance designers, and printers
– Worked directly with Product Engineers, Product Managers, Marketing Managers/VP's, Sales Managers/VP's, and inside/outside Sales Reps
Senior Graphic Designer
San Diego, CA
Mar 1999 - Jul 2000 (1 year 4 months)
Senior Graphic Designer for a $500+ million annual sales ($500k print budget) consumer electronics division. Creative support for consumer products, including sales sheets, package design, POP, logo design, in-store signage, product graphics, as well as marketing/educational support material for sales team.