Industrial Design Student
Western Washington University
Sep 2012 - Present (8 years 9 months)
- Collaborated on teams to develop and critique a variety of functional, innovative product concepts.
- Developed experience with ideation sketching, rendering, model making, and product testing.
- Implemented effective color, material, and form into name-brand products, improving user experience and design effectiveness.
- Designed a showcase exhibit for Nike Soccer's appearance at Soccerex Global Convention 2015. I applied marketing and layout psychology techniques into the floor plan for effective promotion, while maintaining a professional environment to conduct business. Emphasis was on high quality materials that reflect the brand image of Nike. This project was a concept for an Industrial Design Foundation course at WWU.
- Created a light bar to replace obtrusive rear blinkers and brake lights on dual-sport motorcycles. The light bar bolts onto the existing sub-frame and protects the signal lights from getting thrashed and breaking during trail riding and drops. Emphasis was on durability and design for extreme environments (including waterproof components).
Residential Remodeling Subcontractor
Grant Paton Construction
Jun 2008 - Jun 2014 (6 years)
- Acquired considerable experience and familiarity with many different hand tools, power tools, and machinery. This exposure to different types of equipment has greatly improved my model making and understanding of the interaction between design and manufacturing.
- Managed projects and materials on time-sensitive construction and landscaping sites.
Jun 2013 - Jun 2014 (1 year)
- Generated logos/graphics and consulted closely with clients to fulfill their needs. (scottypaton.com/graphics)
- Integrated graphic and marketing skills to launch the original clothing line 'Northwest Rep' (scottypaton.com/apparel)
- Designed the logo for Business Leaders in Healthcare at the University of Washington. (students.washington.edu/blhc)