Bsc Applied Computing
2010 - 2011
BSC (HONS) APPLIED COMPUTING (NORTHUMBRIA UNIVERSITY) 2011
Final Year Modules and Learning Outcomes:
1. Know the conventions of academic writing and incorporate these into own work.
2. Write effectively, critically and accurately within an academic context.
3. Read critically and use various information sources correctly.
Object-Oriented Modeling and Design
1. Explain and critically appraise the main principles, concepts and techniques of object oriented development.
2. Specify the requirements for an information system.
3. Use a range of UML models in the specification, analysis and design of software within an appropriate development process.
4. Apply the principles of good object-oriented design to the specification of applications.
Strategic Systems Management
1. Critically analyse the strategic position of an organisation through the application of a set of established techniques
2. Critically evaluate the importance of information systems to the creation of competitive advantage in an industry sector.
3. Critically evaluate developments in information technology that affect the strategic position of organisations.
4. Critically discuss issues associated with the implementation of strategic information systems
Social and Current Issues in Computing
1. Identify and critically evaluate social issues, and their impact in computing and society from a range of viewpoints including nationally and internationally.
2. Evaluate the implications (social and ethical) of the development and use of information systems.
3. Present information both in writing and orally to a high standard using appropriate methods and techniques
4. Demonstrate, and apply, correct research methods using appropriate language, references and arguments.
Project Management & Professional Development
1. Reflect on learning and critically evaluate learning experiences and consider how to apply those experiences to other modules on the programme of study.
2. Identify suitable project management academic resources and use those resources to undertake academic research.
3. Critically analyse literature concerning current issues in project management.
4. Critically appraise the role of the project manager within systems or software development projects
5. Critically discuss tools and techniques used in project management.
Entrepreneurship & Small Business Startup in Informatics
1. Identify and apply the functional and managerial competencies of an owner/manager in a new small enterprise
2. Relate the position of a small enterprise within the economy and recognise modern trends in the business world that are impacting on business ventures
3. Produce a comprehensive business plan for the start-up and operation of a new small enterprise
4. Critically appraise the operation of a small enterprise in marketing, finance, supply and human resource terms
Principle of Wireless Computer Networks
1. Describe and explain in detail wireless data communication technology.
2. Design, deploy and test a secure wireless local area network system.
3. Analyse protocol information in a wireless local area network.
4. Perform a pre-deployment critical site survey.
5. Identify and select appropriate requirements, design and implementation strategies and methods for the development of a software application.
6. Apply a well-integrated requirements and design methodology.
7. Implement an application design using industrial standard development tools and techniques.
8. Apply appropriate quality assurance techniques and work to appropriate professional standards for documentation, quality control and system integrity.
9. Produce a personal technical evaluation of the project work in terms of the technical decision making, group work, processes and responsibilities and the final project deliverables.