Development Group Manager
Jun 2014 - Present (6 years 10 months)
• Actively lead a team of 11-12 developers and designers, providing feedback and guidance on day-to-day operations.
• Collaborate with clients, sales, project management, account managers and design to establish project requirements, development and manufacturability to ensure a smooth process.
• Troubleshoot development and production issues between development, design, quality control, model shop and production floor.
• Address bottle neck issues that could delay project completion and taken necessary corrective actions.
• Ensure that development intents, engineering drawings, and detail packages are DFM (Design for Manufacturing) ready.
• Review and analyze Solidworks drawings, parts, assemblies, AutoCAD drawings, and Toolpath files to ensure proper development demands are met.
• Schedule and prioritize up to 120 jobs a month between a team of 12 engineers and designers to ensure customer deadlines are met.
• Prepare and deliver annual performance appraisals, and provided constructive feedback and guidance to low performing individuals on the team.
• Participate in the interview and selection process for open requisition on the team. Also performed the exit process for low performing individuals.
Senior Industrial Designer
Jan 2006 - Jun 2014 (8 years 5 months)
• Conceptualized and designed POP displays, store fixtures, counter units, floor stands, gondola overhauls, custom and generic merchandising systems.
• Responsible for generating client presentations, renderings, 2D and 3D models, drawings, and detailed engineering drawings.
• Worked with clients and the sales department through out the design process to determine, understand, meet and exceed the design criteria.
• Utilized materials like metal, acrylic, styrene, lighting, aluminium and plastic extrusions, glass, injection molded and co-molded plastics, wood, and laminate in designs.
• Coordinated with the engineering, model shop, vac-forming, production, and vendors to ensure design manufacturability and cost effectiveness.
Irwin Seating Company Inc.
Jul 2005 - Dec 2005 (5 months)
• Designed and modeled components based on customer needs for theater, auditorium and lecture hall seating utilizing Pro/Engineer.
• Drafted seating layout drawings based on architectural building plans and chair specification using AutoCAD.
• Generated bill of materials for projects using the seating layout drawings.
• Problem solved with architects, dealers and vendors on seating layout and chair issues.
• Set-up sample chairs for product specifications and engineering validation.
Technical Illustrator // Writer
Daimler Buses North America - Orion Bus Industries
Apr 2000 - Jul 2005 (5 years 3 months)
• Spearheaded the transition of book development from the parent company DaimlerChrysler Commercial Buses North Carolina LLC to Orion Bus Industries.
• Generated orthographic, isometric, and perspective illustrations for part and service manuals using Corel Draw, Photo Paint, Pro/Engineer, AutoCAD, digital photographs, and scanned images.
• Researched bill of materials using the MacPac system to compose technical specifications in the form of parts pages and book files for specific transit authorities.
• Created packaging artwork for bus manuals on CD format.
• Conducted internal audits through the ISO 9001 Quality Assurance System.
Arnscott Electronics Inc.
Jun 1998 - Apr 2000 (1 year 10 months)
• Created AutoCAD drawings of equipment racks and accessories such as shelves, vent panels and rack rails.
• Designed a universal attenuator plate for all types of volume attenuators, and product packaging.
• Managed all stages of the project from the design, to manufacturing, and final assembly of product.
• Maintained and updated bills of material for all products.
• Responsible for quality standards by dealing with vendors to ensure quality expectation of incoming products are achieved.