Salt Lake City, UT
Jun 2015 - Present (6 years 4 months)
Train students in Crime Scene Investigation, Photography, Evidence Collection, Report Writing, Crime Scene Diagramming, Fingerprint Development and Comparison and Individualization, Scientific Methodology and ACE-V, Bloodstain Pattern Analysis, Basic Firearm Examination and Bullet Trajectory, Drug Analysis and Identification, and Basic Microscopy.
• Instituted a "hands on" approach to learning by providing the students with "teach it and do it" activities.
• Created corse curriculum, syllabus, exams, learning material, and handouts.
May 2015 - Present (6 years 5 months)
Create designs, concepts and sample layouts using design principles and esthetic design concepts, and adhering to corporate style guide. Create ads, product labels, box art, POP, trade show displays, signage, and other marketing materials. Design various concepts for both print and web. Attend press checks as needed. Manage production of print pieces from concept to completion. Provide input, ideas, and creative communications for marketing proposals. Stay current on software updates, available training, and latest hardware advances.
• Standardized corporate style guide for a consistent look of products, features, images, and color.
• Recommends new software and equipment to improve job performance and results.
• Improved department communication with product managers, venders and staff, resulting in more productivity with fewer errors.
Forensic SME IV/Sr. Latent Print Examiner
Oct 2010 - Oct 2014 (4 years)
Duties include the following:
Obtain and maintain a TOP SECRET clearance. Comparison of latent to known prints for individualization. Submission of unknown latent fingerprints into database. Digital imaging enhancement and preparation of latent impressions using Photoshop prior to database search. Manage multi-agency caseload, incoming biometric data and unidentified databases. Complete other biometric examinations; tenprint, facial, and iris. Prepare and maintain records, notes, statistical and analytical reports. Train other examiners on software, techniques, and equipment.
• Improved Adobe Photoshop performance use from 52% to 98%.
• Trained over 200 people in digital imaging process improvement methodologies.
• Instituted new software and equipment to improve job performance and results.
Forensic SME/North Lab Director
Oct 2009 - Oct 2010 (1 year)
Obtain and maintain a SECRET clearance. Processing of evidence for fingerprints, using powders, and chemical techniques in a laboratory setting. Forensic video analysis and digital imaging enhancement of insurgent activities using various equipment and software such as AVID and Photoshop. Writing policy and procedures, training new team members, manage and prioritize work flow, and quality assurance. Prepare and maintain records, notes, statistical and analytical reports. Conduct training for civilian and military personnel. Created over 100 warrant support packets and court comparison charts. Conduct classified and unclassified tours and speak to military service members, officers and members of intelligence groups regarding functions and capabilities of the biometrics lab.
• Reduced DNA lab personnel cross contamination on crime scene evidence from 73% to 4%.
• Trained military staff in evidence collection/preservation and crime scene techniques.
West Valley City, UT
Jan 2003 - Sep 2009 (6 years 8 months)
Evaluate, compare, and individualize latent prints to known prints. Process evidence for fingerprints, using powders, and chemical techniques in a laboratory setting. Photograph all friction ridge skin impressions on items of evidence utilizing appropriate lighting, filters, and camera settings. Forensic video analysis of surveillance evidence using AVID Adrenaline. Data recovery from cell phones, and various video surveillance systems/computers. Audio enhancement of interviews and digital voice recordings using Soundtrack Pro and Adobe Audition. Perform marijuana identification and presumptive FIDO testing on controlled substances. Prepare and maintain records, notes, and analytical reports. Process, collect, photograph, diagram, and video crime scenes for bullet trajectory, bloodstain pattern analysis, impression evidence, and DNA/Trace evidence. Provide instructional training for lab and law enforcement personnel. Conduct tours and speak to community and public groups and school students regarding functions and capabilities of the forensic unit. Collect major case prints, and general fingerprint/palm print standards using both ink and Live Scan. Attend autopsies as necessary and obtain fingerprints from the deceased. Underwater crime scene investigation to locate and recover physical evidence.
• Assisted the FBI on a Federal homicide case as the lead blood pattern analysis expert.
• Lead Crime Scene Investigator on more than 300 scenes including homicides and officer-involved shootings.
• Project Manager and Technical Leader of Digital Imaging and Controlled Substances/Chemistry for the Unit, which includes writing policy and procedures, training coworkers, and quality assurance.
• Trained various law enforcement personnel and organizations in using Photoshop, fingerprint development, footwear impression casting, photography, and video analysis.
Senior Graphic Designer
Salt Lake City, UT
Mar 2001 - May 2002 (1 year 2 months)
Design and produce marketing communications (print and digital) pieces for a variety of in-house clients. Designs include conceptual art and overall theme development, ads, brochures, covers, manual & book art, rate cards, instructional manuals, trade-show booths and signage. Train and cross-train junior designers on software, techniques and procedures. Manage and mentor other designers to meet deadlines and maintain consistent corporate image. Assist with production design. Attend press checks as needed. Manage production of print pieces from concept to completion. Provide input, ideas, and creative communications for marketing proposals. Stay current on software updates, available training, and latest hardware advances.
• Established consistent workflow procedures to expedite deadlines.
• Created standardized training programs to reduce time spent training new designers.
Assistant Digital Imaging Manager
Salt Lake City, UT
Sep 1995 - Mar 2001 (5 years 6 months)
Preflight and trouble-shoot client files, images, fonts and equipment. Scan images, art check, color correction, and matching of pre-press files. Lay out client pages, typeset copy, and optimize digital files for output. Train and cross-train employees on software, techniques, and equipment. Client tech support for software and file issues. Custom design work for clients as needed. Manage and prioritize workload to meet client deadlines. Enhance/edit photos as needed and provide photo restoration services.
• I saw a need for better interaction with our clients. I created a “how to” worksheet to answer frequently asked questions and included our contact information to make our department more readily available for clients with questions or problems. The results were a significant increase in the amount of new work clients brought in, and fewer issues with the created digital files increased our productivity.